Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Aggressive bucks in May?

Old 06-01-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Aggressive bucks in May?

I was watching one of my clover patches last eve. Coupla does came in awhile before sunset and acted really nervous. Thought maybe a dog or even a coyote might be lurking but about sundown two bucks came in and started chasing each other around. Not unusual, but before dark they had chased the does down to the weedy end and were shoving each other(the bucks) around. I don't mean gently, either. By dark they had settled down and were eating about 20 yds. apart. Also noticed all the deer had dark hock glands, not as much as during the rut, but noticable.
Is this normal behavior for the end of May?
Old 06-01-2004, 06:09 PM

Default RE: Aggressive bucks in May?

rwilson,
Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine published an article last year with pictures of two trophy bucks going AT IT, full bore, and it was during velvet. That type of behavior isn't the norm at this time of year, but it happens from time to time for some reason. I wish I could remember which issue D&DH had the article.
Does anyone else recall?
Sounds like quite a sight to see, RW...
Old 06-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

deer will display dominance signals through the year, although they will try to protect the velvet antlers during the summer, i saw that article in deer and deer hunting, congrats on watching an awesome encounter
Old 06-05-2004, 09:09 PM

Last june or july i was watching a group of 4 bucks, one fork horn, one decent 8 pointer, and twin basket 8's feeding in a field. One of the twins pushed all the deer around, even the 8 pointer that was bigger in rack and body to him. they act aggressive everything now and then. i saw those twins running together even during the rut so they must not have let too much get between them

slayer