Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with new deer hunter

Old 06-02-2004, 09:47 AM

Default Help with new deer hunter

I use a bow to hunt deer. The peak rut date is Jan. 30 - Feb. 6. What are some strategies I could use for going hunting in October-December? What about January with the rut coming up? Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Help with new deer hunter

In early Oct the bucks are going to still be in there bachelor groups. I like to scout year around and have several bucks located before the season opens. The way I like to approach it is drive around alot and see where the deer are traveling, once I have located the deer or the sign I am looking for I will set some tree stands up at a safe distance away from them there travel corridors and observe and start narrowing down there movements, I like to start sitting in the stands about 6 wks out from the start of the season. I take a note book and map to document the time,location,weather conditions and other info, this will help you out a great deal because you can recall when and where you are seeing deer and under what conditions they were there under. I love hunting the early season because you can really pattern the deer more then than any other time, when the rut kicks in all bets are off with a big buck then you are just trying to stay on top of the doe groups.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:39 AM

Default RE: Help with new deer hunter

the more time in the field the better the chances i have hunted the same public land for a few years now so i know about where the deer will be i did notice the deer around me prefer thorn bush leaves when the grass is brown even with plenty of hickory and oak nuts around