Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Aggressive Deer

Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Aggressive Deer

About a month ago, we purchaseda new home that sits on 1.3 acres but backs up to about a 100 acres of woods behind the house and larger wooded tract sits across the street.I've regularly been putting out feed in the lower part of our side yard about 60-70 yards from the house, close to a well used deer trail.The action has been tremendous, to the point that if I go an evening without seeing a few deer I'm surprised. One evening a few weeks ago, we had a bachelor group of 5 bucks in the yard which was amazing to see. The deer are just tearing up the corn/textured horse feed mixture that I've been putting out.

There is one deer, an 8 pt buck, that seems to be a little more regular in his visits to the feed. One night last week, while the 8 pt and a 6 pt were down at the feed, I decided that I was going to loop back behind them somewhat so I could observe where they head after they eat. Once the 8 pt re-entered the woods in his departure, he spotted me and started, ever so slowly, approaching me to see what I was. His approach was deliberate, stomping etc. He eventuallygot within 15 yards of me,on the other side of some saplings and brush, beforeI alerted him and he left. All the while, he kept looking at me but I thought that perhaps he couldn't make out exactly what I was, therefore coming closer and closer.

2 nights ago,the scene was repeated, but this time I put on my camo and went to the same spot in the woods. The 8pt was at the feed and when he heard me entering the woods, he came in to investigate. This time, over the course of an hour, and all the while stomping in his approach, he came closer and closer until he was within about 6-8 yards of me! He stood there, right in front of me and on the other side of a fallen tree, but it seemed as though he didn't know what I was(at least I hope). However, I must admit that once he stopped and turned toward me at that distance, I got a little nervous and stood up. He bolted, but only for about 30 yards. I walked to the edge of the woods and waited to hear him walk off. Instead, he walks back up to the general area I was sitting at and proceeds to blow repeatedly, I'm talking like 12-15 times as he's walking back into the woods away from me.

Any thoughts as to whether this is normal behavior for this time of year? I'm not all that experienced in observing deer behavior but it seems a bit aggressive coming in that closely. Would his behavior give any indication as to whether he is the dominant buck in the area and he's ready to go after anything that might be infringing on his territory? Please enlighten me....
Old 07-25-2005, 02:21 PM

Default RE: Aggressive Deer

He simply didn't know what you were, on either occasion. I also think that you must've been downwind of him. Had he gotten a wiff of you, more than likely he wouldnt've hung around or certainly came back after you walked off. I likewise wouldn't call it aggresive behavior as they typically aren't aggresive this time of year. While still in velvet a buck will be cautious of confrontation and they aren't charged with testosterone like once they cast their velvet and begin getting ready for the fall.

The blowing was normal behavior and is used alot of times just as much as an attempt to startle something (just like the stomping motions) into moving as it is used to warn deer in the area that something is alert.

Have fun, they are very forgiving this time of year!
RA
Old 07-25-2005, 02:26 PM

thats the weirdest thing i have ever heard of.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: winchester_1300

thats the weirdest thing i have ever heard of.
Since the deer are feeding relatively close to the house, my scent is common to them. And I'm certain he was close enough to pick up on it when I was in the woods. Where I sat was kind of close to the house, only about 15 yards or so back in the woods directly behind the house, so maybehe couldn't tell if the scent was coming from me or from the house area.

Both times, since it went on so long, it kind of felt like I was being stalked.I tell ya, it was cool and all to know that I could stay still enough on the ground to have a mature 8 pt buck come in to within 6-8yds of me. But man, when that thing stopped and just looked at me straight ahead at that distance, it scared me. It essentially got close enough where I decided that I didn't want to find out what its next move was going to be. Tome, his behavior just seemed a bitoverly aggressive, especially for this time of year.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:10 AM

JetMaxx, since you are feeding the deer in your yard and the area you describe is residential these deer may not be hunted much or at all. Combine that with being fed by people and watched often, deer will lose their fear of humans.

In areas of CT and around Philly that I know of deer can seem almost domesticated they live so closely with people. I wouldn't push this guy to much as deer have been known to rush people and from the behavior you describe he could be a prime candidate.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say I've had a big buck walk up to me like that, but I have had does walk up to within 5 yards. Its almost comical to watch them try to figure out what they're looking at...craning their neck, looking away then quickly looking back at you, stomping... I suppose I passed as a rock or something one time, after trying to bust me for like 10 minutes, she just slowly walked away, totally un-spooked.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Last year I had a similar incident with a young buck walking through the woods to my spot in a clearing. As I approached slowly I noticed a4pt staring right at me from 30 yds. I froze for 5 minutes while he tried to figure me out, finally he proceded to slowly walk to my right. Once he was within 15yds of me it was clear he wasn't going to leave.I didn't want to miss the opportunity at anything else whilegoofin with him so I decided to headinto my spot even if I spook him.He watched me walk by him, didn't seem to care. Icould have taken him at any time,he was big bodied buthad a very young rack so I figured I'd let him grow.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:27 AM

he might have been pretty young so thats why he was curious?Or he didn't know what u were so he wanted to check u out.i wouldn't like to get that close to a deer,u don't know what they might do!If u did it again i would take my gun,just for protection!
Old 07-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Seems to meRed Allison pretty much sumed it up.