Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lyme disease among deer.

Old 05-21-2004, 03:39 AM

Default Lyme disease among deer.

Here in the UK, we have to be careful when we kill a deer because of lyme disease.
It is recommended that hunters check deer over and remove ticks. The disease is not common in the UK, but there is large scale awareness of the potential problems associated with the disease, and responsible hunters will try their best to eliminate the spread of the disease. It is more common in mainland Europe, and prevalent throughout Russia and East Europe.
How common is the disease in the US, and does anybody know the distribution / density of the disease?
Are the majority of US hunters even aware of the disease and the effects it can cause?

(Sorry if I sound somewhat condesending, it's just i can't find a thread on it anywhere in here)

Safe hunting!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 03:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lyme disease among deer.

Welcome to the board Bite the Bullet .
Yes , we do have Lyme Disease here , and it's spreading over a large part of the country . The disease is fairly common here too . I seem to recall a thread about it in the T.R.'s Tips forum some time back although I can't recall exactly when at the moment .