Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting In PA

Old 05-20-2004, 04:51 AM

Default Deer Hunting In PA

Hi all. I'd just like to start by saying what an excellent forum this is, and that I’ve learned so much stuff from all you guys.

The situation is this....

I'm a Brit, but was born in Philly and I’d really like to move back out to PA to live. I've been a hunting enthusiast since I was about 10 years old and have gold medals for .223 competition shooting. Over here, the laws are ridiculously tight, but I know the law well covering seasons, Firearms licensing, rights to shoot, etc. However, I have absolutely no clue whatsoever about the law governing these things in the USA. I understand most states have different rules/bylaws etc, but what I really want to know is what are the laws governing firearms purchases and closed seasons. Also, what is a state game licence, and does this apply to PA?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:32 AM

Default RE: Deer Hunting In PA

Hi and Welcome,

I live in PA, Poconos, and the rules governing buying a rifle is pretty lax here, but you do need a drivers liscense. Also, they will perform a background check on you, which you pay for when purchasing a rifle.
I don't own any pistols so I won't go there.

As for acquiring a liscense, you need to take a class. I forget the name of it but I believe it is a Hunter Safty Course. Also, you will need your drivers liscense to attain your hunting liscense. The liscense is good from July 1st to June 30th, one year. It covers all hunting, but you will need to send in for doe permits, since it is good for 1 buck only. Also, if you want to do Archery or Blackpowder, you will need to acquire additional stamps for your liscense.

Check out the PA Game Commission website to cover all other laws such as season bag limits, hunting times, orange requirements, etc.. To find their website, go into Google and type in PA Game Commission.

We have WMU's or Wildelife Management Units that cover various counties so your doe permit is good for a particular WMU. You may want to visit the Northeast forum if you have additional questions regarding PA, ask there.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know all the laws regarding PA hunting and out of country residents, but if you move back here I would assume after a certain period of time(I think 6 months) you would become a resident since you were born here. If such is the case you would only have to complete a Hunter Safety Course and get your general hunting license which is basically a license to hunt small game, turkey and deer(buck only). Then you can get other tags like bear tag, waterfowl stamp and migratory game bird licensse(allows for hunting ducks, geese, doves, etc.).

Here's a link to the Pennsylvania Game Commision

Go to the website and research it for most of your answers....if you cna't find the info there shoot them and email or call.

As far as firarms and such, I have no idea since your out of country. Good luck and welcome to the boards. This is the best place on the net that I've found to share info and BS about our favorite sport.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:42 AM

Yea, I agree, this is the best place on the net for hunting discussions.
What are these "tags" (i.e. bear tags) you are on about and how do they work? Do they need to be renewed each year?

Also, having lived in the UK for the last 19 years, I'm not too hot on species. I know there's deer and you mentioned bear. Is there much bear in PA and where is it?
Also, what other species (apart from the ones mentioned) can I shoot?
All advice much appretiated and valued!!!
Old 05-20-2004, 07:08 AM

BtB,

There are bear in many counties within PA. In the Poconos, bear is pretty abundant. We have Black Bear in PA. Bear's weight go from 200 lbs. to over 600 lbs.

Most hunters looking for bear in the Poconos usually look in or near the swamps. I know guys that hunt bear, usually on drives as well. I myself am a deer hunter, sometimes turkey.

Good luck!

T
Old 05-20-2004, 07:34 AM

Are hunting clubs a common thing, and would you advise me to join one?
Also where are the Poconos?
If you shoot a bear, or a deer, do you have to declare it to the State game commision and therefore pay a trophy / consumption fee. What stops people from just sticking it in the van and driving off with it?
I know i have a lot of questions, but as hunting is such a large part of my life, I don't want go move country only to find myself in prison for violating some law unknown to me!
Old 05-20-2004, 08:02 AM

BtB,

The Poconos are in the mountains of Northeastern PA, south of Scranton and North of 80 after the Delaware Water Gap.

There are Bear Check stations setup during bear season.

The 2 day Hunter Saftey Course will help you with understanding the laws. Also there is a handbook you can read.

There are several Hunting clubs in my area. I belong to one right next to my property.

I hope this helps...

T
Old 05-20-2004, 08:16 AM

Its a great state lots of outdoor activity.enjoy
Old 05-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Basically it's like this....you buy a hunting license. That is a general license which priveleges you to hunt whitetail deer, small game(rabbits, grouse, pheasant, squirrel, groundhog, etc.) and turkey. On that general license there will be 3 tags....one for an antlered deer(buck) and two for turkey(one spring season and one fall season). When you kill a deer you fill out the deer tag from your license and attach it to the deer. You then send in a report card(supplied with the license) that tells the state where, when, how, who killed that deer. The turkey tags work the same way. Bear tags you must purchase seperately....one per year....season is 3 days long. If you kill a bear you have to attach a similar tag to the bear and then take it to a check station where the PGC weighs it and pulls a tooth and gives you a permanent tag. You don't pay anything to the state after you kill and tag an animal....you've already paid for the privelige to hunt and the tags come with it.

In PA the licenses are valid from July 1 to the following June 30.....this year the license with be valid from July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005.....also known as the 2004-2005 Hunting season/license year.

You really need to check out the PGC website and browse for awhile. Download the "Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations" and read it over. Most of your questions will be answered there. Also, here is a website dedicated to just PA hunting that you may enjoy.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:52 AM

Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge!
This is a great help to me.

God bless.