Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 When to start scouting for this fall? >

When to start scouting for this fall?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When to start scouting for this fall?

Old 05-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: When to start scouting for this fall?

As many have already stated.....It is best IMHO to scout year round. When I do that I know what deer are within my 20 acres and get to know their habits. Sure that often changes during the rut....even bringing some other bucks in for competition but.....I usually know whats going on, or atleast try to do so. And the their patterns change with the seasons I tend to find...not much but they do. Just some thoughts.....
Old 05-24-2004, 07:55 PM

I start scouting in jan when im looking for sheds and during spring turkey season then a couple times a month in the summer in september i start to narrow down the places i want to hunt
Old 05-28-2004, 11:54 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I didn't know you were suppose to stop scouting. LOL Got to keep track of all these that made it through hunting and another winter...

Seriously, we do scout all year. We scout out new areas and the old areas when we shed hunt. The sheds tell us what bucks made it through winter and what areas to watch during the summer. We find out what crops are planted in the area that will give us insight to where the deer will be feeding through hunting season till they drop their sheds in the winter. Long range scouting ( binocs and driving the roads ) during late summer . Scout during hunting to keep up with the changes the deer go through with prerut, rut and post rut. Paying attention to their food sources in the fall and winter. Scouting never ends for us.

Tim
Old 05-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal!

But your about 5 months behind
I agree with Rack.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:48 AM

Year round is my gig. It just seems to me that the more you observe the more knowledge you file away. It's fun to see the seasonal trends that they adapt to and it gets real exciting when you can figure out the patterns of a particular deer. Individual patterning might seem near impossible but I can assure you that if you are out in the whitetail playground enough you can find the elusive bully, pattern him and out fox the fox, so to speak. I did'nt say it was easy but what a rush when you take your scouting to that level.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

I start doing my heavy scouting right after the season closes in January. That is the best time to scout because you can see sign easily.