Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I start scouting right now?? >

Should I start scouting right now??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I start scouting right now??

Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should I start scouting right now??

The biggest mistake I made last year was starting in late August. It was so hot hauling feeders, cameras and standsout in 100 degree weather.

What are the thoughts on starting the feeders right now?

What is one thing I can do this early to help improve my odds???

Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Should I start scouting right now??

umm i think it cant hurt, if you got the money to keep em fed
Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started scouting for this next season a couple days into January.. and probably walk no less than 8 hours every week since.. of course.. most of it is sheddin'

Walk now. It's the one time of the year the woods will closely resemble autumn. You can still find rubs.. rub lines.. rub clusters.. scrapes.. trails.. all extremely easy this time of year.

Walk.. and walk some more. Take a map.. an aerial.. mark points of interest.. and things will really start to unfold you have never noticed before.

And really pay attention to the details.. think about this past years encounters.. the crop rotations.. the general patterns.. and when the deer seemed to have vanished and why...

You can solve these mysteries now.. and become a better hunter the very first day the season starts this year. You have the power.. its up to you to do the rest.

Go.. get out there... start now.. and then let the woods settle back down long before the season begins. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Cant feed here but I would start now.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

dukemichaels, those are some good points. Yeah, I am going to throw some cameras and hang some stands next weekend. The leaves haven't come back yet, so it does resemble the fall. What was really weird was I had pics of over 10 different does on my game cameras last year, but I never saw one of them. I had only a few pics of bucs, but saw several of them. It was a strange season and I'm going to figure out what is going on.

Does anyone ever put cameras away from bait stations? I'm going to hang 3 or 4 other cameras where I think the trail areas are. However, how can I tell where they are bedding??? Thanks guys.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

I have been scouting quite a bit during shed hunting.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start scouting as soon as the season ends. The deer are similar feeding patterns as they are going to be come November again, so I want to get out there and see what they are doing when there are no crops in the fields. In my area, the deer are already starting to change feeding patterns, so it is getting a little late for that type of scouting. As far as feeders go, we are not allowed to use them in Illinois. However, it is getting close to the time to start putting in spring food plots. I will start running camera in June and have all my stands in placeno later than mid August. Hunting a year long sport.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the question should I scout now or start feeding now?

Now is a great time to scout. IF you bait during hunting season, I am not sure if there are benefits to starting that early.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

I have been doing the same. I have marked trees for stands, cleared shooting lanes, while it all resembles fall. I have noticed that the bucks on my property have been rubbing in almost the same area each year. The sapplings have seasons of rubs all over them.I am glad to havenoticed all of the travel patterns by scouting and spending time in the woods.

I am glad that I have taken the time to walk just about every foot of 300 acres. Take pictures, download aerials, and do it now so you arent doing it a month before bowseason.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to for sure start next weekend. Thanks guys!!!

Quick Reply: Should I start scouting right now??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.