Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do deer taste different when.... >

Do deer taste different when....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do deer taste different when....

Old 05-03-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Do deer taste different when....

When you hunt deer during the rut, they most likely taste different due to their hormones and stuff. now if the all year round season on farms passes in NY, i would think the deer would taste different. what do yall think?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do deer taste different when....

I don't think so. It is far more important to make a clean shot and dress the deer and get it in a cooler as soon as possible (trim the fat). If they have been run with dogs a half a day they will not be as good.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The taste might have something to do with the rut but I think it has more to do with the diet. I’ve have found that the deer closer to the south of our province in farm land areas have better tasting meat then deer hunted to the north in heavy bush areas.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

I've heard of people who swear that they taste differently if the glands are not immediately removed upon field dressing. I have no opinion and haven't removed them myself.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed a couple of buck during the rut and only had one that had a "gamey taste" to it-all the others tasted pretty good.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

I believe that bucks during the rut definitely taste different, stronger. If we take a buck during the rut, its sausage or processed venison. Never steaks and cuts. I also believe that handling the animal in the field and later has a big impact on how the meat will taste. But apples to apples, the same buck shot in September will taste better than the same buck shot in November.
I work with a fellow that grew up on a farm and has a farmette. He was telling me that once a boar pig breeds its not considered choice pork no longer. He states that boar pigs(those used for breeding) that go to market end up as pepperroni, etc. and carry a lower market value.
This same fellow states that if you want some tender beef, you place the animal in a small stall where it can't exercise or move around much for several weeks just before butchering it. He states the muscles become more flabby and the meat more tendor. Think of this in the terms of the whitetail during the rut. His muscle tone is probably at its peak from the increased activity and thus the meat would be tougher than before the increase in activity.
But this really doesn't mean a thing to me. I hunt for big bucks and would always take the big buck before a tendor doe. I'd just have the meat processed.
Dan
Old 05-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I killed one big buck in the rut. I had to throw it away. I could smell it 20 yards away. Never again. I shoot does now. The deer in our area are all grain fed and taste very good. I hav no place to put the darn horns anyway.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have harvested a number of deer in rut, as well as ate and field dressed many more during this time. James B your right they do smell, in fact so do elk and even worse yet is a bull moose in the prime of breeding...but they all tasted good to me. A clean shot is always a good way to start but equally important is the care from the shot right to the dinner table. I immediately drop the guts, as mentioned cooling of the meat is essential to meat qaulity. As many of you know wild meat will rot from the bone out or what is refered to as green rot, it is essential to cool the entire carcass by removing the guts and hide asap. If you believe and the weather will allow a hanging period for your deer, it is important to insure the pelvis is spread open and the inner ham meat is not touching the other side, you want airflow around the exposed meat. I remove the gland with a seperate knife (I am not sure it is required but it was how I was taught and it must be done to hang and skin anyway so might as well leave it in the bush as drag it home and disgard of it later is my thinking). If the game (and many are during this period) have the semen and pee all over the belly, I will simply skin the belly flap out and disgard prior to puncturing the stomach area, always using seperate knives for the appropriate task(BTW the belly trim and gland removal can be done by the same knife...you'll only require 2 knives in this process). If I don't need to do this for the above reason, I still do it to allow better cooling of the inside of the carcass but rather than doing it in a skinning fashion I will puncture like you normally would to gut and then simply cut off those flaps prior to dropping the guts. Not only does it allow for cooling but more room and light to get in the body cavity. If your not mounting the cape I also recommend splitting the brisket to the neck, which will allow easy access to the trach and as well aid in cooling the meat. If mounting than DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR CAPE, you'll have to do the reach and grab method as a cut to the front brisket will not make for a nice mount especially over time!!!!!!!!! Once I have field dressed I will skin and hang immediately. Following this procedure I wash with cool water the inside and wipe down the exterior with water and a small amount of vinegar. This will remove the little hairs from the carcass from the skinning process and no the vinegar does nothing to the taste but really works well for picking up loose hairs. If possible I will let it hang for 24 hours and debone. I butcher all my own game b/c i am very picking with my cuts and how my meat is trimmed, to me it is worth the extra time to ensure it is all excellent table fair. When doing so I remove all talc(white fat), silver skin, hair and no bones. Sawing the bones will disflavour the meat due to the deposits & marrow left on the meat. I basically split the animal into groups; grinder meat, jerky meat and choice meat cuts. Then simply wrap in portions for our family use. Ok now your going to ask but how long does this process take you? I can field dress a deer in the rut method in less than 20 minutes, which includes perserving the cape for mounting and removal of the trach. To skin b/c it is partially warm takes minutes, it really is much easier to do when the carcass is a little warm. The clean/wipe method is minutes as well. The butchering by myself will take me about 1 - 1 1/2 to completely debone and wrap. The reward is excellent meat and a big saving from commercial butchering, not to mention an excellent anatomy lesson and learning experience. Last fall I butchered well over 30 head of game as a sideline/hobby and haven't received a complaint of gamey yet, this includes several rutty mule deer which are known to have a distinct flavour during this period. Like anything it takes time to get fast and good at it, don't worry about left meat as their is always a grinder pile and certainly don't worry that the first time you try a new method it take much longer than your previous, it isn't a race and I for one will gladly but a few extra hours in at this process to ensure a good result...really no different than hitting the range or practicing your calling!

I will say difference in the texture of the meat can be dependant on age, area, stress level or food sources available to that animal, but that doesn't mean the meat is bad it just may require some creativity to get the best out of it(ie merinades) Also wild game should be cooked med-rare, you want juice and either cook it less than your beef steak or use a merinade to ensure it doesn't get dry! Like I said it is important for meat quality from the time you pull the trigger to the time you use your knife and fork, if you do as much as possible to ensure meat quality it will be returned to you at the dinner plate!

Bona appetite !!!
Old 05-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you field dress them, and get 'em cool as soon as possible, they should taste about the same no matter what time of the season you shoot them!If you make a good shot on a relaxed buck, handle him right and trim as much fat as possible, you will not have any "gamey "taste!