Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.30 Caliber Question

Old 04-29-2004, 10:44 AM

Default .30 Caliber Question

Hunter's/Shooters...I need your expertise in finalizing my rifle purchase....

I'm pretty much set on buying a Winchester Model 70 for my hunting rifle, and I decided to get a .30 caliber round for that rifle. The question is...which one - .308, .30-06, .300 WM/WSM (or something else I'm missing???)? I'll be hunting both in open and wooded areas, and hunting deer, elk...pretty much big game. Any suggestions? I'm sure whatever I choose of the three/four will be a good choice - the last one I'm more affraid of...magnums have quite a recoil from what I hear. I appreciate what all three/four have to offer and will get the job done whatever game I choose to hunt...all the way up to larger game like moose. Just curious to find out what you all think. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .30 Caliber Question

I'm partial to the .30-06 due to its usefulness across the entire country, the wide load selection, and the great killing power. On the other hand, you can cut your rifle's weight a bit by going with the .308 (shorter action). The .308 has a little less velocity and energy than the .30-06, but not a whole lot. The .300 Magnums are great for longer-range shooting, but frankly I don't find them necessary in most hunting situations. And yes, there's that recoil to contend with.

All are capable big game calibers, so I recommend reading up, shopping around, and talking with some more hunters. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

'06. I like 'em.

The 308 can get you a lighter gun overall if a bit of weight will make a difference.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am also partial to the 30-06 but if really big game is on menu example moose and elk then i would opt for the 300 win mag.this round will handle the heavy bullets 180-200 grain loads alot nicer and offer you more punch down range if needed.If the recoil is a big concern then get the gun ported or i am sure you can get the model 70 with the boss that will tame the "kick"I would personally go with the 300 win mag because the load is widely available almost everywhere,the 300 wsm looks to be the same performance up to 180 grain loads and you can cut alot of weight being a short action .
Just remember whichever calibre you choose wont be a bad decision,shot placement is the key
Old 04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since you factored in bigger game and long range shooting chances I would also lean towards the 300. However you mentioned being a bit wary of recoil, so no matter how big if you can't handle the gun it then becomes useless power. If you can try shooting a 300 to see how you tolerate it, would be the best. If not of the ones you mentioned I would lean toward the 06' if recoil will pose a problem. I would add another one into the mix, that being a 280 rem. It will chuck bullets large enough to take on moose or elk in the .284 diameter(same as 7mm), it will shoot flatter than the 06' for open/long range shots and pack about the same recoil as 06'. The 280 is an excellent choice for an all arounder with lots of selection in bullets and less recoil then it's mag. brother. With todays bullets you don't need to buy a 30 cal to hunt elk or moose, just match your game with a premium bullet and send it home. Either way you must be comfortable with your choice and be able to handle it! In the end a bigger gun does not make up for poor shooting, the smaller adeqaute gun with a confident shooter will win that battle everytime.

Best of luck!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I already have a good 30-06 and so I would not trade it for a 300 WSM. The 06 will do NA very well. That said if I were starting over and didn't want to own mulitable rifles, I would probably go with the 300 WSM in the Super Shadow or Browning A-Bolt. This would give you a little more range without getting in to the big kickers. Get a good recoil shield to wear at the range to take the pain out of the recoil. In the field it won't bother you anyway. I have gotten to the point that I have so many different rifles that reloading has gone from a fun hobby to just plain old hard work. I love having and trying the different calibers but am getting weary with trying to keep up with comontents for all of them let alone trying to work up the best load for each. I have been an avid hunter, combat shooter, Silhouette shooter and varmit rifle nut for 50 years and a reloader for all the different sports for 30 years. I am sort of getting burned out. Anymore give me a 223 a 300 WSM and a 45-70 and I will hunt anything that moves. But as for now I am pretty well equipet with my 7600 30-06 Pump for 90 percent of hunting in North America. I have reloaded for the last three nights now and have three calibers done and ready for Fall I have about four to go yet.[&o]
Old 04-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you plan on hunting the big bears I would have to say the 30-06. Manageable recoil, excellent selection for factory loaded ammunition. It will deftly take any animal on the continent. While the prices are coming down for the WSM ammo the 06 can be found just about anywhere. I would suggest a 165-180 gr load for an all around any game load. Just some other food for thought, the WSM basically duplicates the ballistics of the full size magnum up to 180 gr. above 180 is where the full size excells. The 308 will also do the job.