Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting is for the rich!!!!!

Old 02-20-2002, 12:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunting is for the rich!!!!!

Aussie,you must be in north Texas.Down in South Texas there aint no public land to find.Them ranches down there are all 100,000's of acres.I lived in Corpus and finally had to buy 300 acres out near Freer just to hunt.It was cheaper then leasing.Them big buck counties down there dont have any public land.Them Webb,Starr counties are awesome. Of course the king ranch has some giant brutes.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:04 PM
Spike

I have only hunted in KY & TN but haven't had any problem whatsoever. Hunting is alot cheeper than many leisure activities, golf for example. A buddy of mine spent more for one Big Bertha than I spent hunting all year long!

Old 02-20-2002, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

IT IS IF YOU WANT TO GET A "BIG" BUCK, BUT WHERE I HUNTED BACK HOME IT WAS MOSTLY STATE LAND AND WHEAT FIELDS. I TOOK A NICE TYPICAL 5X5 WHITETAIL WITH A 24 INCH SPREAD OFF OF A WHEAT FIELD ONE YEAR AND ALL IT COST ME WAS THE LISCENCE AND THE GAS MONEY.

Edited by - robb92 on 02/20/2002 23:42:18
Old 02-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Average hunting license = $25
Average weapon with ammo = $500
Average hunting aparrel = $200
Spending a day in the woods = PRICELESS!

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
Old 02-20-2002, 11:53 PM

I could hunt for free but the fun i have in our club is well worth it. i started leaseing just a little tract beside my normal hunting ground. now i have 2000 acres leased and 12 members. we pay alot of money to poor boys but we think its worth it.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:23 PM

Not just the price of a guided hunt but license fees and application fees are starting to go through the roof as well. Guess we should just enjoy while we can, until it becomes corporate..
Old 02-23-2002, 07:44 PM

L.B. find a good looking area where you would like to hunt and get out and explore your possibilitys. If a farmer owns the land Ask him if you could help pick rocks or unload hay maybe offer to keep trees cut off the fences. The one think farmers hate to see is everybody out on the opener looking for a place to hunt.You need to start in the spring.Also start by asking for permisson for a short period of time like a few days or a week .Let them get to know you. For me the hardest thing about being a farmer is seeing everybody else out hunting and having to much work to do to make it out myself.

Born to hunt forced to work!
Old 02-24-2002, 02:43 PM
Host of Hosts

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Gee, and I was always under the impression that Texas had some of the best hunting. Glad I'm in PA. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I thought the same thing, I considered moving to Texas a few years back, glad i stayed in PA.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:52 PM

There are HUGE bucks everywhere. There are whitetails big enough to make the book that live nearly in my garden. Just out of town (maybe 400 yards). All you have to do is spend time scouting where he spends his time beded, feeding, and what not, and you can harvest a boonie and drag him back to your house to be field dressed if you want.
</img>
Hunting leaves track in the snow and tracks on my heart.