Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice on food plots

Old 02-17-2002, 10:30 AM

Default Need advice on food plots

I live in SW Oklahoma where the summers are very hot and dry. Aug.-Sept. its around 100 until about late Sept. I was going to plant biologic or something but dont want to waste my time if it is just going to burn up. Any sugg. would be appreciated. Thought about just sticking to feeders.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need advice on food plots

What grow around your hunting areas???? What do the deer eat naturally??? I don't know how well corn grows in OK, but consider trying this, grow up some corn where you want your deer to show up during season, then when it gets too hot and it looks like it's going to die, harvest it and either freeze it or dry it, then leave out a few small circles of ears at a time, maybe 4 feet across, refresh them a day after they are gone, that way your enttire crop doesn't die and you have a bait system until season comes around and it will do you so good. You might need to get cracking if your going to do this though, I believe that corn is planted in april or march, so it's about time to get going on it.