Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Who Uses ATV for Food Plots?

Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Who Uses ATV for Food Plots?

I've researched a few ATV style disc harrows and narrowed it down to three brands and wanted to hear from any other members that might have one of these models or anyone with experience with them. They seem to be pretty close in options, price seems to be the same for all three at $900.00.

My property is made up of Clay/Rocks.

They are Loyal Model DH02, Summit High Speed 84006, Bio-Logic Tufline ATV7816.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who Uses ATV for Food Plots?

i would find someone with a diesel tractor and rent it along with a disk. i bought a disk for my 35 hp JD and it was around $350, 5 foot.

if you don't want to rent, make some sort of trade for hunting priveledges. clay/rock is hard enough to work with on a tractor, i can't imagine how difficult/slow it would be on an atv.

perhaps someone can come in with a tractor and initially work up your soil, and on successive years you can use the atv.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 4 wheeler has its place - we use it to spray and Cultipack - also to pick rocks, etc. I'd never pick a 4 wheeler over even a small tractor to prepare plots though.

$900.00 is a bunch of money - and if you count the cost of the four wheeler and your time to work the plot - you can do much better with an older used tractor for a couple grand - and a $100.00 set of used disks.

FH

Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with farm hunter, a tractor is so much better with a quality disc. I did well with my ATV once it rained and the ground softened up...this picture below was after 2 hours on hard/dry ground with a disc I purchased at Tractor Supply for a little over $200.00

And this picture below was after it rained and I did a little muddin...again, I was on the ground for 2 hours but it did a great job.

I did however add a box to the discs so I could add weight.

Here's a picture of the plot, mostly clovers grew a couple weeks ago.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I use a tractor and disc, but for the tight areas in the creek I sometimes wish i had the disc to pull behind the atv. I currently use a gas powered tiller in the smaller out of reach areas.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:40 PM

Spoke with a local farmer today who said he would help me locate a used tractor and discs, etc. So when I get back from vacation I'll give him another ring and see what we can come up with, will keep everyone posted for I'm sure I'll have questions concerning the makes and brands, etc. Thanks again! Rod.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

I used an ATV to disc my food plot last weekend. I have a Yamaha Kodiak 450 and I pull a disc that is designed for tractors with it. Its at least 4 times the size of the disc in Rob/PA Bowyer'spicture and probably more than 4 times as heavy. We got the disc for free and we had the quad so figured we would give it a try. I put it in 4 wheel drive low range and it works just fine, you just got to give it a break every 45 min or so because it does get pretty hot. The discs you're looking at should work just fine.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your soil type, and ground will depend on whether a atv & disc setup will work for you. Our area has a thick sod base with lots rocks, and the atv & disc setup wouldn't work. We added all the weight we could to our disc, and after going round & round for about an hr, it was obvious it wouldn't do the job. Our 1st food plot we used a friends tractor, and a bottom plow, and turned the soil over. Left it for a yr, and let the sod rot. We did use the atv to drag the soil out a few times. That worked fine. But unless you have a previously plowed soil or little sod top, and few rocks. I think the atv & disc setup is tough to use. Its great once you've cut into that soil once before.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

a 4 wheeler disk set up can work good after round up - sometimes two applications- 2-3 weeks apart.

A picture of our "4wheeler" Sprayer rig follows - the 4-wheeler is easy to manuver in the plot - and makes quick work for a spraying. We use a 12 volt pump on this 120 gallon tank - we rarely fill it more than 1/2 full per application.

FH
Old 08-05-2006, 08:14 AM

i use my tractor with a 6ft tiller, i like the atv style, but in hard soil the atv disc isn't heavy enough.

Quick Reply: Who Uses ATV for Food Plots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.