Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which Gun Safe to Buy?

Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 PM

Default RE: Which Gun Safe to Buy?

cannon is reputable, i didnt know they cover any cost due to damage from a flood, break ins, fire.

i wouldnt have the safe shipped, i would try to locate a dealer in the area and pick it up yourself can save you a couple hundred bucks that could be spent to upgrade to a better safe or other equipment.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to mention, whichever safe you end up going with....definitely get a goldenrod dehumidifier. Defintiely worth the $25 or so.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:38 PM

t roy- I called Galyan's and they told me that they do carry Amsec safes, one of which holds 8-12 guns for $699 and the next larger one costs over $1,000. I actually found an "Oxbow" which is manufactured by Cannon and brings with it all of Cannon's warranty offers for 12-24 gun capacity, electronic lock, humidifier, and curbside delivery for $923.

I could drive about an hour and a half to pick up a Cannon that is about the same cost, but I'm just not sure that the tailgate on my Toyota pickup can handle 500 lbs. If I can get my hands on a dolly, I'm thinking that I'd be better off just getting the Oxbow delivered.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and input!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:56 AM

i have a dodge dakota i hauled my safe in, safe weighed ovr 900#'s handled it no problem, had it sitting onthe tailgate, didnt affect it at all. i'm pretty sure your toyota can handle 500.

either way good luck.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:23 PM

That's good to know t roy. I'm not quite sure whether I'll be buying it in person or over the Internet, so it's good to know that I should be alright doing either. Oh yeah, and another thing... If your Dodge can handle 900 lbs., I'd venture to say that my Toyota could handle at least 1,200 pounds, no sweat .

Seriously, thanks again for your help.

Jim
Old 03-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I own a Liberty safe. Best safe I could see buying!!! It does weigh quite a bitt though. But worth the money.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:11 AM

Oh yeah, and another thing... If your Dodge can handle 900 lbs., I'd venture to say that my Toyota could handle at least 1,200 pounds, now sweat
give it a whirl and let me know how you come out.

every liberty i looked at had a loose door, in other words with the door locked I could jiggle the door quite a bit, not sure if this is something they do on pupose for ventilation or what.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:08 PM

every liberty i looked at had a loose door, in other words with the door locked I could jiggle the door quite a bit, not sure if this is something they do on pupose for ventilation or what.
Every ad I've read for the different manufacturers with fire ratings says that the seals expand when exposed to heat. Maybe you're right about them being loose to allow the safe to breathe until things heat up...

BTW, I was just messin' about my tailgate handling more than yours. I figured a ton of people on here would/will give me a hard time for driving a Toyota. Couldn't resist taking a jab at your Dodge! [8D]