Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which gun safe?

Old 12-31-2003, 11:09 AM

Default Which gun safe?

I'm about to lose my current gun storage location so am gonna need to get a gun safe for the house. Who makes a good one for a good price?
Old 12-31-2003, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which gun safe?

There are alot of good safes out there. Most are very similar...but prices can vary alot. Take a look at AMSEC (American Security). They are nice safes and easier on your wallet than most of the big names (for basically the same product). There are other good one's out there as well. One thing you will find is that they will ALL claim THEY are the best. The main thing is to get a fireproof safe, and I'd recommend getting bigger than you think you need. They fill up fast, and don't usually hold as much as they claim to....by the time you get scopes, slings, bipods, etc on them. Check Scott's Outdoors or Natchez Shooter Supply...I know they both used to carry AMSEC safes and had great prices.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Fort Knox and I love it. Check the back of about any hunting catalog and you should find several advertisments on gun safes, most of the dealers will throw in a golden rod de-humidifier rod when you purchase a safe also.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

what kind are you looking for? fireproof? combination? key lock? keycode lock?
i have a cheap $90 safe LOL but its not fireproof still though it cant be stolen easily it is bolted to the floor and the wall so they will have a hell of a time trying to get that off the wall. it is also drill resistant. the brand is stack-on
Old 01-01-2004, 05:42 PM

I just bought a strongbuilt that was blemished for $650.
it holds 26 gun and is very well built. to the tune of 754 lbs!!!
my dealer bought a truckload of them that would have normally sold for about $1300.
you may start checking around and see if you can find some blemished safes. mine has a few rough spots in the paint but no weakness in strength.

i looked at heritage before and really liked the safe just not the price.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:44 AM

Shootem...Right now I'm thinking combo lock, fireproof. With busy little fingers running around the house, I need something that's impossible for her to get into. Keyed are cheaper but easier for mistakes to be made with.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad and I just bought a fireproof Sentry safe from WalMart for 400 bucks (on sale) to share and use in his home. It is Sentry's top of the line model with electronic and/or key lock. It is supposed to be 14 gun, but in reality we can only get 10 in there and we had to forego the use of the shelving and lock box to make room (Dad has a bunch of trap guns with 30-34 inch barrels, if we only had a few of those, and the rest were rifles we could use the shelving and box). It took 4 guys to move it into the basement (675 lbs). For the price it isn't bad but if you have more than 10 guns, or want something fancy for putting out for show, I would spend more and get a larger safe.
Funny, we never had a safe when I was growing up, but now that I have a little guy, Gramps insisted that we get one for his house.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:29 PM

I bought one of the gunsafes that Sam's club sells. It's a winchester brand (under license I'm sure), holds 22 guns, fireproof, and very well made. If I remember right it was around $780. Anything comparable in a gunshop was at least $200 more. I looked for about six months before I decided that it was by far the best deal out there on a quality safe.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:47 AM

My wife bought me a Browning gold model.It is a good looking safe, with pointers lockedup on some grouse on the door.I looked at other compareable brands but liked the Browning better.It was not cheap,$2500.I also used a skidloader to unload it ,it weighs 1200#. Just make sure it is big enough cause you will put more than just guns in it.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:42 PM

Check out Zanotti Armory. The larger safes come in 6 pieces and inter lock together. Easy to carry in and install. They are not fire proof but I have mine in the basement and they don't burn. I have a small fire safe inside for importent papers and money. They are made here in town and I know the owner. They can't make them fast enough.

Quick Reply: Which gun safe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.