Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Brenneke KO Performance???

Old 02-09-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Brenneke KO Performance???

Dick's has a great deal on Brenneke KO slugs, $1.79 per box of five, plus 10% off if you buy ten or more boxes.

These slugs are so cheap, that I just had to buy some. I am curious, though, does anyone have any practical experience with them? How accurate are they, and how effective are they in the field against game?

I know that the regular brenneke slugs are some of the hardest and most powerful slugs out there. Do the KO's have similar performance compared to the 2 3/4" originals? Do they have near the same density and power? Because for less than half the price, you can't beat the deal.

Hmmmm......why won't my picture work?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Brenneke KO Performance???

I love the KO slug. That's all I'll ever use again. The most accurate and powerful slug I've ever shot IMO. I shot a doe this year at 70 yards and the slug didn't move 1 inch from where I had my crosshairs. Right behind the shoulder and she dropped right there. I also killed 16 coyotes and only missed once (operator error). Awesome slug for me.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:31 PM

Does the slug give full penetration? How much does it deform agaisnt deer? How does it penetrate/expand against coyotes? How far do deer usually run when hit? How about yotes? Thanks for your time!
Old 02-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

well I don't know all the technical specs and numbers on the slug. What I do know is it blows a serious hole in the animal. I was turned onto them 2 seasons ago and have been using them ever since. I've killed 4 deer and 16 yotes with them (20 total). Of the 20 animals I've killed with them, I havent' had any of them run more than 10 yards!! No lie. They drop in their tracks and that's all I need to see.
Seems to me that they have phenominal penetration and power and deadly accurate for me. Again there may be studies against what I'm telling you I just don't know the logistics of them. Be honest with ya I've never needed a reason to research it. A friend of mine told me to try these at the range one day. Did some target practice and was amazed how accurate it was for a slug. Took it to the field and the first deer I shot at with them was a nice 8 pointer at 50 yards. He flipped over backwards and didn't get up. I'd be interested to see the comparisons to other slugs too.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot the rottweiller 2 3/4 inch mags. The only reason I haven't tried the KO's is because I shoot the the 2 3/4 mags and I won't shoot anything else. 15 years shooting these slugs and I love them.

From what I was told they don't se the same powder in them as the do the mags. It's different. I had the brenneke web site at one time and can't find it in my favorites. Try doing a google search. It had all the ballistics on the site.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:03 PM

Bowhunter, do the slugs always exist the deer/yote? If not, how much do they deform when you recover them things? Thanks.

Have you ever hunted deer with a different type of slug in the past.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

i couldn't pass up the same deal a year or two ago. however my results were not as good as the other fellas. I could get them to shoot ok (not great though) out of my Ithaca 37 but could hardly hit the target out of my Rem. 870 (i think that was the way, I might have it backwards). I won't be buying anymore - sticking with Winchesters - I wait til they go on sale for $1.98/box.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Really, I stack em out of my Berretta, It's a smooth bore. It amazes me how different loads react in different guns.