Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

trail cameras

Old 02-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default trail cameras

I bought a trail camera over a year ago. Its a piece of junk. I was thinking of buying other. Have any ideas on what is a good camera?
Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: trail cameras

Let us know the brand name of your piece of junk......

I own Trailtimer and I wrote on the message board of my experience.

I recently went to GaNDER mOUNTAIN and it seems the prices are really getting low. Anyone have experience with those trail cameras that are less than 100 dollars?
Old 02-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bought one of the Stealth cameras at Wal Mart for $54 about a week ago, havn't processed a roll yet, but several on here say they take a good picture.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

How much $$ are you wanting to spend 1224?
Do you want a digital or 35mm?
I just got the Stealth digital, I just set it out in the woods today but the test pics
look great.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:45 PM

I did a small job for a good friend of mine.We went to a sportsmans show,and he bought me the cheap stealth camera.I was very excited and couldn`t wait to experiment with it.
1.Buddy of mine had bait for bear,about 4 came in that night.Problem;position of camera was too high,I did see the flash go off when a small bear made a quick exit cause of another bears entrance,nothing but a hazy photo of nothing.
2.I got a deer 2 days later and decided to put the camera over the gut pile for the numerous coyotes around.Problem:The following night it snowed about 2 foot.I went back another two days later to find no gut pile and a camera with about 1/2 inch of ice on the front with no pictures left:Excited,I went to 1 hour developing and found out 2hours later that they were blanks.
3.More fresh snow a day later[mind you,my tag was filled,so I had to occupy myself].I put the camera back up on a hot trail that I knew of.Well,I went back 4 days later,tracks everywhere.Looked,and not one exposure!I was so pissed that I ripped the film out manually with my hand.Now it totally dont work.
SOLUTION#1:Experiment with a roll of film in the backyard with the dog,for the hight.
SOLUTION#2:Look at weather situations,[wind,snow]
SOLUTION#3:The most inportant one is that this camera does not work well under 23 degrees [f].Where I was, the ave temp was about 20 during the day and hovering below 0 at night[this is after i killed my deer]The booklet justified this.
I will never buy a cheap version of these game cameras.I will get another one this year but I`m actually going to "PRACTICE" with it.You dont just take it out of the box and strap it too a tree,theres alot more to it,trust me.You cant hang it up facing east or west,the sunrise or sunset might trigger it.Also if you live in a cold climate area,before you purchase one,find out about the temperature rating.I dont recall seeing stealth sample photos with snow in the background.
This is my experance with the cheap version of the stealth.My luck is naturally bad,so some of you guys will probably disagree.Im glad someboby wrote this forum,so I can hear more about these cameras since Im going to buy another one. I really hope this helps some of you guys thinking about purchaseing this camera.I was a lab rat on this one.Know the pros and cons before buying this product,it might save some frustration!!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Beagle it sounds like if you had of read the instructions most of your problems would have been covered. I don't know if any of the cameras will work well at those kind of temperatures, much less the ice problems...
Not taking up for Stealth, but any product needs a fair shake...
Old 02-08-2004, 02:44 PM

Timber........I would have to agree with you 100%,on about 50% of my story!!The box that this product comes in,of course,only gives you the all around props of the product that is being bought.I knew that from when I was 10 yrs old. Now who would of thought that a product that is designed for outdoor use only,doesnt work well in certain,popular,weather conditions???I know that this was total neglegence of my part on assumeing that there wouldn`t be such an absurd problem. But thats life,thats just the way things are.
There is one thing for sure.Before I buy my next camera,that instruction booklet is going to be like the prize in the bottom of a cracker jack box,before I purchase it!!