Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poachers! Any suggestions?

Old 02-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poachers! Any suggestions?

have'nt you called dnr yet . bust the scum cause they will not stop
Old 02-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most states have a Turn In POachers line to call. I would be calling it pronto.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well you start adding up how many deer times the number of offspring they would have had this year and all of a sudden you are putting a dent in that areas animals. You owe it to the animal and the sport to report it at once. Then you will have done the most you are expected to do.

So am I to understand they are just shooting them and letting them lay? No evidence of antlers sawed off, or meat taken?
Old 02-08-2004, 10:47 AM

Call the DNR. Crap like that needs to be stopped. If we don't report this stuff, it looks just as bad on us.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Coastie

I have to say though that if the property is 200 acres, there are more than two ways into it. Just because there are only two gates doesn't mean there are only two ways in. A little walking will find many ways of access even if they don't seem convenient.
Just two ways in - most of this land is surrounded by swamp and heavy brush, along with heavily wooded areas with a few houses backing up to it with no access roads. My dad and I flew over the place today and really confirmed these are the only two access points, so I'm thinking the care taker of the land, who hunts is the only guy who hunts it, has been dumping these carcasses here.

So am I to understand they are just shooting them and letting them lay? No evidence of antlers sawed off, or meat taken?
Tribal- whoever did this skinned the deer, so I assume they cut off most of the meat.

I think I'll make a call tomorrow. If I'm correct in my thinking who it is, and I rat him out, I could screw up my hunt. Maybe that's not the right way to think about this though. Don't know. For all I know, those deer could have been come from many other places and not all from this property. Of course, that doesn't make it right.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

and or bear bait hmmm??
Old 02-12-2004, 07:35 AM

Aaaahhhh.....the age old conundrum. Do the "right" thing......or.....do the "personally advantages" thing.

I was always taught the definition of ethics........"is doing the right thing...when know one else is even aware of it"! The choice is yours....

Best wishes with your decision.

Dave
Old 02-12-2004, 01:58 PM

why dont you ask the landowner about it. feel him out, if you have to sacrifice 15 acres of huning land to bag a poacher, i say that is not a bad deal.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:23 PM

that's a tough one if you think you'll lose your hunting land. But you should really call the DNR. If you dont catch the poachers, the land might not be worth hunting anyway cuz there won't be any deer on it!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:56 PM

I agree with the others, call the DNR. Like Jorgy said, it is your (our) business.

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who dont do anything about it." Albert Einstein

Quick Reply: Poachers! Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.