Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

sheds

Old 01-31-2004, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default sheds

Where should i start looking for sheded antlers? how do you go about looking for them?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:52 PM

Default RE: sheds

Step 1: Get in your truck, drive to wherever you plan on looking.

Step 2: Get out of truck and start walking.

Step 3: Look on the ground when you're walking.

Step 4: Look up occasionally so you don't walk into anything.

Step 5: You've found a shed! Woohoo!

Really though, all you need to do is get out there and walk around. They aren't going to be any place special, there really isn't any special place to look. You might try areas that are extra brushy, or where there are low hanging branches where the antlers are likely to snag and pull off.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Another good place to look is where they have to jump something like a fence.. when they hit the ground the shock can knock them off ..Bill
Old 02-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Spike

Look on trails leading to and from bedding and feeding areas.Edges of any kind of cut overs.Slopes that get any kind sun where bucks can bed in the sun for awhile.Licking branches are good places to look also.Fences can be good spots if the deer actually jump or crawl under them .However I've noticed over the years that deer will follow fences until they find a spot where the fence is either down or they can just step over it.At this time of year deer wont be to far from there food source.Good luck
Old 02-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was out hog hunting and we were waiting on the dogs to bay up, but they never did so we were waiting for them to return , i saw some bones,it was a calf, and there it was a lil 4 point shed lying close by, last years shed, only a few nibble marks on it, it was great....if he wasn't gotten this year , it means he is gonna be a real nice buck , God willing