Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When do Hogs feed/move?

Old 01-17-2004, 07:03 PM

Default When do Hogs feed/move?

On my land I hunt there are all sorts of sign from hogs.... The ground in some areas looks like some has came through with a lawnmower and when we put corn in the feeders for deer the hogs come and clean the place spotless.... I have never seen any up there and there has been one killed but we just dont see them hardly ever. They come from very very thick pine forest that you really cant walk through..... Thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When do Hogs feed/move?

like that thick stuff, the hogs around where i work are coming out mainly at night feeding then bedding up for the day....
Old 01-19-2004, 05:20 AM

If you do a lot of shooting , they go nocturnal.if there is a bunch and you take one from the bunch with a gun they will leave that feeder for a few day and go nocturnal.we have a lot of hogs around our deer feeders.we take one once in a while, then we don't see any for a while,all the feed is gone with lots of hog tracks.

if all the natural feed get gone then they will come to the feeders in ("Early") and ("Late").we take the most in the last 10 min of shooting light.

just keep setting and waiting "If You Put The Feed Out They Will Come".
Also try some old apples and pears, they love them. I get some old fruit from the Winn Dixie where I live , a guy saves the old stuff for me.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:05 AM

We have lots of hog sign in Texas Hill country. . . .the ranch where I hunt shot 4 this season and I hit a very large boar one night, 500LB class but the .270 was not placed perfect so he just left town. It was too dark to tell front from back, so I just center punched him. With that said. . . . . . .mainly at night. . . .but sometimes we see em headed out just before last light.

Now that Deer season is over here in Texas I will be workin on a few Hogs. Found a great double funnel with a nice wallow right at the mouth of it. Every tree for 30 yards is full of mud from them scratchin after they wallow a while. I'll be spending a few late afternoons waitin to see what comes out. I am gonna put out some nice tasky stuff to help them along