Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pass up deer?

Old 01-14-2004, 09:31 AM

Default RE: Pass up deer?

I pass up both, depending on the times.....I see you're from Va also....I don't pass many shot during the early bow season, except bucks that I don't plan on putting on the wall.....I don't necessarily have to see a mountable buckt to take a shot, but nice 8 pointers and better I don't pass up.... YET! Less than mountable bucks get skull mounted.....but, I won't shoot a doe the month of Nov. because you never know what might be tailing her.....I'm a firm believer that a big mature buck will tail a lesser buck while traveling....I've seen it, and talked to too many others that has seen it also......a 6 pointer walks by then 10 or 20 minutes later you see Mr. Big. I just try to use common sense when deciding whether to pass up a deer or not......But as far as bucks go, most anything less than an 8 walks....for me anyways.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

At our hunt club we have had a 15 wide by 12 tall or it is 50.00 fine and we have had it in place for 5 years and this year we have really seen the positive side of this rule. We killed some really good bucks and saw alot of border line bucks that will be great bucks next year. At first people were killing deer that were barely leagel but now with the rule in place for a while they are letting more and more go. I think it is a great idea and it is getting easier to let that 14 to 16 inch buck go and let him get bigger.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

For several years now, I've had a personal standard of shooting only mature deer--and bucks must be a respectable 8 or better. I've passed up a number of bucks and TONS of does each year. With the season quickly coming to a close here, I'll probably let the air out of the next decent doe I see. I'll still pass on the small bucks since, if they made it this far, they will probably be there next year and they'll be much bigger--maybe big enough to harvest.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:22 AM

My first year of archery I started passing up bucks. I wanted to get a mature one, even if it ment I wouldn't get one. Probably passed on 10 yearling buck. Then durring rifle passed on a few more. I got lucky and shot a nice 3.5 year old 6 point a few days before season ended.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:28 AM

depends on the age and size of the rack. I dont let to many mature does walk.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

I too pass up deer on a regular basis. Part of the fun of hunting is just watching the deer. Small deer become big deer if allowed to grow up. Like others have said, you may leave some tags unfilled by passing on smaller deer. But the rewards are worth it for me.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:42 AM

normally I don't pass up to many bucks but I do pass up does every now and again. Unfortunatley where I hunt the Bucks just don't show up that often, so I normally bag one every chance I get. I still think it improves your chances when you go ahead and pass up the little guys and wait for the racks.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:11 PM

I want to try to start passin up small bucks. Save the does for the last 6 days of huntin season. But seein as I've only killed one deer which was an 8 pointer that I shot last day of last year but when somethin runs past you its hard to not shoot.Gonna try it next year
Old 01-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

creekhobo, NICE BUCK!

I feel sorry for the fellows that hunt in an area where there is high hunting pressure and bucks don't often live long enough to get really big. Or where seasons are short and your first chance might be your only chance. Or where you only get one deer tag.

I'm lucky to live in Alberta where you can pass up what some would consider great bucks and wait for what we consider a great buck. I like venison a lot as do my family. So we shoot at least a few does on antlerless permits to put meat in the freezer. (and cause it is fun) Then my wife and kids can shoot whatever kind of buck they choose to and I can hold out for a BIG one. I don't mind putting my tag on the christmas tree if there are does in the freezer. If I have to, I will shoot a doe on the last day or two of the season with my last deer tag. I'd rather not shoot a small buck.

Robin
Old 01-14-2004, 02:49 PM

if it's early in the hunt i'd pass the deer up and look for a better one

Quick Reply: Pass up deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.