Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pass up deer?

Old 01-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pass up deer?

Generally I don't pass on any does, especially early on. Fawns I'll pass on. I pass on small bucks cause I want to shoot a nice one. If I have doe tags and its later in archery near the rut, I'll probably pass does, just cause the buck may be trailing.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do it all the time. I think it really all depends on what's important to YOU. As long as you are proud of what you shoot, and that makes you happy....go for it. Personally, I don't want to shoot any more small bucks. I'd rather go without, and have done so plenty of times. As far as does are concerned, if you have a high population...I'd recommend whacking a few of them instead of the small bucks. I do pass up does as well, but that is based soley on whether or not I feel like dragging and butchering on that particular day.

I see you live in Madison, VA. If I lived down there...I'd be passing up every small buck that came by. That's one of the few areas in our state that has some real bruisers. Good luck
Old 01-14-2004, 07:09 AM

As long as everyone else around you is doing the same. I hunt a large parcel of public land which just went to a 3 point rule a couple of years ago. I have already seen a big difference in the deer coming out of there.
I usually like to put a couple deer in the freezer before I start getting too selective.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:14 AM

bucks obviosly cant get mature shooting them young, let them walk, if you want to see alot more bucks and better bucks, shoot alot of does
Old 01-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

I passed up deer for three seasons let a lot of deer walk by untill i harvested this buck.I was it the woods just about everyday very tempting to shoot something but it was worth it.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I usually pass on a lot of smaller bucks. Like someone said if you shoot them they will never get bigger. Let them walk and at least you still have the chance of growing em. It's paid off for me every year (except this year.....got skunked).
Old 01-14-2004, 07:44 AM

we know, had to say it
Old 01-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pass deer?! Why certainly! And could you please pass the potatos and carrots?

Seriously. I let many deer go on by. #1 letting them walk on by tells you you are stealthy & undetected by the deer. #2 letting them come & go gives you important clues as to where they are coming from and where they are going (you can use this gathered data to determine stand placements) & #3 it gives you more opportunities for a larger deer, buck or doe.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 01-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I only shoot does. I do however pass on the smaller does. I won't shoot a buck just to be shooting a buck. I hunt fot the meat. If I ever see a bigger buck than the one I shot many years ago then I might take it but that is very unlikely.

Quick Reply: Pass up deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.