Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Bowhunting Whitetail W/Groundblind?? >

Bowhunting Whitetail W/Groundblind??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bowhunting Whitetail W/Groundblind??

Old 01-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bowhunting Whitetail W/Groundblind??

Here is my question/dilemma. I have a very very good area on my property where deer come out into the field every night almost like clockwork. I have walked around in the woods there a couple of times and it just lookes like cow paths through the woods. Anyway there is no place to put a treestand of any sort because of the thickness of the woods. But how many people have had good luck bowhunting whitetail out of a ground blind? Should I set it up in the woods or right on the edge of the woods in the field? Thanks!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting Whitetail W/Groundblind??

Check into tri-pod stands that will get you 12' off the ground and set it up next to the woodline at the edge of the field.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

I might have to check into that. I don't know why but I never thought of that, Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a $70 ground blind from Dick's and i LOVE it. i shot my first deer i have ever shot in the mornin out of it. i highly reccoment the one i got. for 70$, it has black inside and a couple of windows. also very quick to pack up and to set up. i used it once for predator, but to no avail. i am gonna use it for bowhunting turkeys. i LOVE mine. if you have private property, set it up a week before the day you hunt and cover it with branches to blend it in. the deer seem to get used to it. on the ground you have less visibility and range, so you may want to block some trails and get a ground bow holder. did i mention i LOVE mine?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ground blinds are fun but to me hard to bow hunt out of.Walmart has some good tripods you might want to check out.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:52 PM

2 of my 3 deer this year were killed off of the ground. One with a homemade cammo wrap stuck in the ground around me, and the second with me just laying up against a tree. I don't care what you sit in or where, if you move around and don't stay still, you are busted.......
Old 01-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought both this year, a ground blind and a 12' tripod both sit about 20 yds away from my feeder and they both work fine. The tripod is a little harder to move around with out being spotted, but the ground blind I purchased was a little too small to move around in and get positioned to shoot out of. I would suggest you get a pop up ground blind designed for bows, and get the biggest one. Put a swivel chair in the middle and see if you can turn and shoot out of every window from that center position without having to get up and reposition. If its big enough to do that it will be awsome and stealth. Set it up where your gonna hunt and let the deer get used to it. Then hunt it.
I was in the tripod this year and had a descent buck about 15 yds from me , when I went to draw he actually heard the krinkling of my jacket and spooked, I think the ground blind will contain those little noises better.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bucky I hunt from the ground a lot, what I would reccomend is to set your stand where the most deer will be funneled by you, if that spot is in the woods do it, in the edge of the field do it there.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

we made a blind out of straw bailes. it is next to a filed where deer come out every night to feed and on trails into a bedding area. cheap works great. we put the bails out a month or so befor eseason and they dont even look twice at them they are so used to them.