Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Last weeend ends w/ big cat in our sights >

Last weeend ends w/ big cat in our sights

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Last weeend ends w/ big cat in our sights

Old 01-05-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Last weeend ends w/ big cat in our sights

Well. . . . only 2 more weeks to go. Regular season closed last night. We now get 2 weeks for Does and spikes. Last bit of meat for the freezer.

It was really hot for Jan. in Hill country Texas this weekend 75 for the highs and upper 50's at night. This really made it slow this last weekend. A buddy of mine on the ranch where I hunt was treated to a great show on Sat evening just before dark. A mountian lion, stalked in and was watched for 30 minutes or so showing us 2 legged folk how it's done. He got to within 5 feet of a yearlin before it was last possible light to shoot or see. Using his radio he asked if we would give the OK to shoot and we said yes. He shot at very last light and the shot went right under the does neck and under the cats chest, who was crouched facing the shooter. We found the bullet hole through the cactice (sp?) but it was clear we missed. The cat jumped about 5 feet straight up and vanished. We have seen sign of him for the past few years and have hoped to get a sighting or a shot. I bet he won't be back to this feeder any time soon. He would have made a great trophie and spared us the loss of numerous yearlins this next year. This cat took a nice 8 point earlier this year, we found it half eaten early in the season.

Just to be 100% sure of a miss, 6 of us spent the next hour looking for any possible sign of a hit, nada. Damn.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Last weeend ends w/ big cat in our sights

Gosh, it must be rough to be in the 50's and 70's. It's below 0 here today. Keep your chin up. Things may turn around and you will get that big cat yet.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:53 PM

Buckhunter. . . being mainly a meat hunter type person I would have thought long and hard about takin this cat. I think after some thought I would have taken him but I bet it would have caused a great case of big cat feaver makin a clean shot alot more difficult.[&:]
Old 01-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

GTB, Good point. I have never taken a cat, but have shot coyotes before. Mainly because they were after a deer I had just harvested. I think that there's a big difference between shooting to kill and shooting to save your life though.