Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy or meat?

Old 12-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trophy or meat?

Meat is always #1 in my books but if comes with a nice rack, that much better.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Meat first, rack second
Old 12-20-2003, 09:43 AM

I have to say that I agree with almost all of you, especially Plainsman & davidmor.

Rack-Attack, sounds like you don't eat venison? Well, more for us

If given a choice, the youger the meat, the better the taste. At least that has been my experience. I would much rather let all of the small bucks (small-mid eights and under) go/grow. Hopefully, I get a shot at him later on when he's reached his full potential. I believe patience pays off in the long run. I underdstand that some hunters don't have such an abundance. Therefore, they take what they can get. I've been there before. In that case you have to take what you can get and be grateful for it.

Anyway, If you take as many does as you can, then you'll be rewarded with a better buck:doe ratio and more competition among those big boys for the remaining ladies! More competition could result in bucks coming off of their beds earlier in the evening and staying up a little longer in the morning? That's me being an optimist

Here's my question to you all..........

Since I'm/we're talking about great taste. Would you find it ethical to shoot a fawn? I'm not guilty of it, but boy that has got to be the ultimate in venison????

No one likes to put his deer over the shoulder for all of the guys at camp to see, but who's got the real trophy? I guess it depends on your definition of "trophy".

Bn'R
Old 12-20-2003, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

contrary to popular belief ................. Trophies have meat too!! So both simultaneously.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

here in NJ, you have to shoot a doe before a buck, so by the time i get a shot at a buck i have 1-2 does in the freezer. and as for the size, ill shoot if i feel like getting out and having to trail and gut it. if its a big buck, i usually have a hard time turning that down. but if its cold, rainy, and getting dark fast, or i have plans and its only a small spike or a doe, i could care less.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

here in NJ, you have to shoot a doe before a buck,
wow I never knew that. That's strange. How in the heck do they monitor that?
Old 12-20-2003, 11:00 AM

every deer shot in n.j. has to be taken to a check station. check in a doe, then you can shot your buck. but not all zones are earn-a-buck zones. most zones are also unlimited does. legally take as many as you can. [and that is really messing up the hunting] deer are hunted here for 5 months.