Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy/Meat II

Old 12-20-2003, 10:47 AM

Default Trophy/Meat II

Gentlemen,

Here's my question to you all.............

Referring to etothepii's Trophy or Meat question.

Would you find it ethical to shoot a fawn? I have not done so myself, but when talking about taste, that has got to be the ultimate in venison???

No one likes to carry his deer over the shoulder for all the guys at camp to see, but who's got the real trophy? I guess it depends on your definition of "trophy".

Don't get me wrong, I have a heart. Therefore, I don't know if I could do it, just asking. The only other problem would be avoiding the possibility of taking a buck fawn.

Bn'R
Old 12-20-2003, 11:06 AM

Default RE: Trophy/Meat II

I shoot fawns and it is not even a question of being eththical. I just haven't got to the point in my hunting career where all I'll shoot are big bucks and does for managment or meat only. I've shot button bucks the last two years and maybe I was a little more disapointed to find out it was a buck fawn and not a doe fawn but oh well killing those deer was still exciting and fun to me so........

Maybe it is not good management but why would you ask if it was ethical?
Old 12-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where I hunt you have to take a doe or anterless deer before you can take a buck. So if it doesn't have any spots and its the first one I see, or have a shot at, then yes I will take it. It doesn't need to have a rack on its head for me to enjoy the hunt or the steaks.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:28 AM

Cisco,

You're right, ethical is the wrong word. Good management is what I was looking for

Bn'R
Old 12-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do not shoot fawns.I get one general whitetail license per year and if I am lucky I draw one antlered mule deer license and one antlerless tag.I certainly am not going to waste one of these few tags for 20lbs of meat.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:09 PM

Stubblejumber,

That is understandleable. Here in MD we can take up to 12 deer just in the region I hunt. 4 bow, 4 muzzleloader and 4 shotgun/rifle. You can also go out of your region and take 12 more if anyone was ever that lucky. In fact you could legally kill 48 deer here in a season if you maxed out every way in all 4 regions.

The thing I find funny about the orginal post is that he makes it sound as if you kill a fawn you are ruthless hunter with no heart. LOL. I guess I am like that guy on the machine gun in the helicopter in Full Metal Jacket How do you kill the women and children? "You just don"t lead em as much"
Old 12-20-2003, 03:09 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Last year I had two small fawns skittering under my stand during bow season. They were not much bigger than my beagle. If either had been big enough to make it worth the effort I would have killed them. Killed a button this year. Didn't bother me at all. it was 100 lbs live weight. and damned yummy. I have taken two young fawns. the one I took this year was probably only 80-90 lbs live weight. We can take 4 deer with our basic big game license and unlimited does with bonus tags on private land. weith less people hunting each year I think they will have to increase the number of deer we can take or extend the season soon. We just aren't keeping up with the deer herd in VA. Te quality of deer are getting better, but the numbers are also getting too high.

David
Old 12-20-2003, 03:20 PM

no fawns for me !!!!!
Old 12-20-2003, 04:34 PM

The truth is, I have many friends that have mixed feelings about it. I on the other hand say go for the great taste. However, when given the opportunity right in front of me this year (about 50 lbs or so), I couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe next year......

p.s. Cisco, I don't think you're a ruthless hunter

Thanks for your input,
Bn'R
Old 12-20-2003, 04:52 PM

Not sure I could do it. Besides---I would have a hard time explaining to my wife. She is a great sport about my hunting---even though she would never shoot an animal.

Quick Reply: Trophy/Meat II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.