Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy Buck or Deer Meat????

Old 11-21-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Trophy Buck or Deer Meat????

Why do most people hunt? I am more in it for the thrill and for the meat. I know a lot of hunters go for the big one and like to mount their racks and what not. My wife is fairly anti-hunting, but her only rule is that I dont bring home "trophys" meaning, it will be a cold day in hell before there is a deer head over my fireplace. Other than that, she really doesnt care, even gotten her to eat deer meat, and wild turkey. Mostly she doesnt want to hear about the "kill" or see it for that matter. ANYWAY.....My question is, what do other hunters look for in a hunt? Are you going to take the first/biggest you see, orwill you hold out for that "trophy" kill???? Personally, I am just trying to put meat in the freezer, so I am more likley to get the first/biggest that I see.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Trophy Buck or Deer Meat????

I always take the first decent sized doe I see for meat and then hunt for horn.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:36 AM

Harvestdoe for meat. Let your bucks grow up. You'll find the little spikes and forks are really curios and sometimes it's hard not to but you should'nt. You still have plenty of time.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been deerhunting 25 years and I am motivated by several factors ... My son is 34 years old and my best friend and I look forward to our time in the woods together..all our trips and experiences we have while deer hunting ... I also have a family who loves deer meat and a 80 year old dad that would eat it most everyday if he had enough ... I also just love setting in the woods and the anticipation of just seeing a deer but enjoy the solitude and the silence also...but I also LOVE the BIG bucks ...must be an ego thing but I will admit it ..sooooo its the TOTAL experience that makes me continue to come back ... spend all thos HOT days fighting "skeeters" and ticks in the early fall and then sitting in that COLD azz tree stand in the winter .... I just enjoy it all !

dd
Old 11-21-2005, 08:57 AM

Very well said DD!!
Old 11-21-2005, 09:13 AM

I hunt for both. I have a lot of people that gets meat from me and my wife every year.some , it's the only good meat they get each year.
I also love to eat it myself. I could eat it every day if the wife fixes it;(and we almost do eat it every day) in one form or the other.

I also love to just be in the woods and see the first light come about. watch the birds and little animals start to move.getting a big one is just iceing on the cake.a small one or doe is just as good to me.

there are some people that never see the sun rise. they really don't know what they are missing.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both. I can shoot several does a year to fill the freezer, and I hold out for a nice sized buck that I consider a trophy.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I've been deerhunting 25 years and I am motivated by several factors ... My son is 34 years old and my best friend and I look forward to our time in the woods together..all our trips and experiences we have while deer hunting ... I also have a family who loves deer meat and a 80 year old dad that would eat it most everyday if he had enough ... I also just love setting in the woods and the anticipation of just seeing a deer but enjoy the solitude and the silence also...but I also LOVE the BIG bucks ...must be an ego thing but I will admit it ..sooooo its the TOTAL experience that makes me continue to come back ... spend all thos HOT days fighting "skeeters" and ticks in the early fall and then sitting in that COLD azz tree stand in the winter .... I just enjoy it all !

dd

Same here bro.!
Old 11-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I started out hunting,I shot the first deer that wasn't a fawn that I saw.As time passed,and I killed more and more deer,I became more selective,first shooting only mature bucks and now holding out for only mature bucks with much larger than average antlers.I used to fill my tag every year but as a result of my becoming more selective,I probably only kill a buck every second or third year.When I first started hunting ,I felt as though I had to kill a deer to be successful,but now I consider every hunt a success just because it allows me to get some fresh air and exercise and to spend time with family and friends.My family and partners have also changed their priorities from simplyfilling tags to enjoying the experience.We often have a tag or two left over between usbut it never bothers us as we alwaysmanage to takesome deer,elk and moose ,and we always have an abundance of meat.I will add that we are less selective about the elk and moose until we have one or two on the ground,then we become much more selective with them as well.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am 35 years old and have been hunting for 20 years, I used to only think about big bucks and never killed one. Then I got older and get meat from does and still go for the big horns. I am lucky that I hunt were we can take a doe and do have a very good chance of killing a very nice buck.

Quick Reply: Trophy Buck or Deer Meat????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.