Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How many of you weigh your deer? >

How many of you weigh your deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many of you weigh your deer?

Old 12-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: We measure the big ones in central Pa because the deer can really vary in size..

The link below is from Whitetails.com and shows the estimating chart they use for getting a darn close idea of your deers weight both dressed and live by using the chest girth measurement method. Most deer that I've actually wieghed on a scale after using the chest girth method were not off by more that 6-7 lbs

http://www.whitetails.com/weight.html
Old 12-21-2003, 06:01 PM

Default RE: How many of you weigh your deer?

I've never had a deer weighed, but I might purchase a scale for next year. It might be nice to know the weight's of the deer we take.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Some of the check stations will weigh the deer for you if you want around here. But I purchased a scale from Cabela's 3 years ago just becuase I like to know as much as I can about the deer I shoot, field dressed weight and then I sometimes weigh the meat after I cut it up and wrap it, just for my own curiosity.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:48 PM

Default RE: We measure the big ones in central Pa because the deer can really vary in size..

I like to but in utah it isn't so big
Old 12-22-2003, 02:02 AM

I too think that weight is a better gauge rather than antler score. To me it is the same for fish, for some reason in this area lately the length of your striped bass seems more importamt than teh weight. I will always take a bigger bodied animal over anything else.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: adams

I'm also from Maine and I know exactly what you mean. larger antlers only adds to the weight total. What part of the state are you in Split-Hoof?

I'm from Allagash. Big woods up here, and some big bodied bucks, but the deer population is fairly low. Which part of te state are you from?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

we usually weigh all our deer at the big buck contest.weight is very important in my neck of the woods,the antler scoring is becoming a lot more popular with the younger generation.the old timers say you cant eat antlers.we also have our own contest in the gang,we all weigh our deer at camp and the biggest buck or doe will take home the pot(everyone will throw in 20 bucks and the winner at the end of the week will take the pot)its been a tradition here in my camp for the last 15 years