Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How many of you weigh your deer? >

How many of you weigh your deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many of you weigh your deer?

Old 12-19-2003, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How many of you weigh your deer?

Well I have had one of mine weighed, my biggest buck, he dressed at 175 pounds, the biggest I have ever seen weighed in Va. dressed at 210, a buck my cousin killed the very next year trying to outdo me! Well the weight bet mine by a mile, but the rack on mine was a lot bigger than his.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh I haven't weighed a deer in years and probably won't unless I kill one as big as my biggest.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default We measure the big ones in central Pa because the deer can really vary in size..

I am a hardcore Bowhunter and most of the deer my family takes are weight. This year I passed up alot of does looking for a big buck but the last week of bow season was terrible windy. I had to break out the rifle for the first time in 10years. I however shot the biggest deer in my hunting career(210lbs).
We will weigh every deer from now on.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:29 AM

Default RE: We measure the big ones in central Pa because the deer can really vary in size..

We weigh all our deer, my club has two electric winches set up outside the shed where we hang them. There's always a bow pool, for bucks and does, and a gun pool for bucks and does, so they all get weighed, even if just for curiosity.
I agree, the folks who don't weight them sure do kill some big ones.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:40 PM

Default RE: We measure the big ones in central Pa because the deer can really vary in size..

I'm also from Maine and I know exactly what you mean. larger antlers only adds to the weight total. What part of the state are you in Split-Hoof?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Here in Nebraska, we don't have to weigh them, but we sure can on our own or at the processor if we wish to do it that way.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only weigh the packages that go into the freezer.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:21 PM

It seems that the people that talk the most about weights are those that live in areas where antlers are generally much smaller than those where I hunt
Conversely, it could be that the people that talk the most about rack size are those that live in areas where the deer are generally much smaller than those where I hunt. gg.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Goodguy-I hunt the farmlands of alberta and saskatchewan.Could you kindly inform me as to where I might find deer that are heavier on average than these locations.I am sure other readers would be interested as well.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:19 PM

It was a play on words....you know....a joke. Sorry you didn't get it. But in answer to your question, I hunt the farmlands of Ontario where the winters are less severe and the deer snack on apples, corn, alfalfa, grain and acorns.

Research & Quotes of Blair Dawson (do a Google search)
We don't have Mulies here but when it comes to Whitetails Ontario has some huge deer. Of the 30 subspecies of whitetails in North America, ours is the largest . Odocoileus virginianus, subspecies borealis (of the north), is found from Manitoba east to the Maritimes and in bordering U.S. states.

Body size becomes progressively smaller to the south. Southern-Florida key deer, for instance, are not much bigger than a medium-sized dog. And, even though many Canadian-prairie and Texas deer sport huge antlers, body sizes are comparatively small.

The largest hunter-taken buck we've tracked down, at 288 pounds dressed , and weighed by the MNR, was taken in the late 1950s by an unknown hunter in northwestern Ontario. Second place, at 286 pounds dressed , goes to a deer taken from Hastings County, and weighed in a big-buck contest. The third-largest buck, at 282 pounds dressed, was taken by compound bow on October 28, 1997, near the town of Renfrew in the Ottawa valley. The archer, Mark Melcher of Renfrew, won the local big-buck contest that year.

Hope this helps. gg.

Quick Reply: How many of you weigh your deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.