Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How confident with your rifle... >

How confident with your rifle...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How confident with your rifle...

Old 12-18-2003, 06:31 PM

Default How confident with your rifle...

Wondering how many others feel that after many years using the same rifle & scope and being sighted in to match the most likely shooting distances where you're hunting feel like they just can't miss a shot? I know for sure that if I miss it's all on me. That confidence gives me an edge when hunting. The last few years I missed one opportunity because I overestimated the distance , aimed over the critter a few inches when I should have kept it on the fur. I've been offered other rifle's to use which are way more expensive than mine but I just feel extremely confident with my old gun & scope. I now think everytime I put those sights on a deer it's going to drop that deer instantly because of my confidence in the accuracy of my rifle. Anyone else feel that way?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:38 PM

Default RE: How confident with your rifle...

Yes. That's why you and I need to start bow hunting more.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:47 PM

Jimbohuntr1, Yes, agreed. LOL
Guess I'm just really pumped waiting for next season already.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

I felt the same way about my rifle until last year. I completely missed one at 200 yards. Turned out the cheap scope I had on it went south. That was the first deer I have ever missed. Put a Leupold on it for this season and she's dead on again.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:24 PM

Know that feeling. My second scope for current rifle was the charm.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:39 PM

My deer rifle is just like a third arm to me. I have only missed once with it....first deer I ever shot at. Since then, it has always been one shot, one kill! Sometimes the gun hits my shoulder and seems to fire itself before I even know what happened! The bullet never fails to find it's mark. Between my grandfather, my father, and myself, that gun has killed a lot of deer.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

im really confident in my mauser now....at first i only had a cheap tasco shotgun scope on it becuase of a large rear sight...well the first year i took my second deer...a button buck with it...3rd year i shot 3...wounded and lost 2 with barely a drop of blood not even my expierienced vetern dad who bow hunted a long time couldnt even track and totally missed one...the scope broke adn we had no idea....it hit nowhere near wehre i aimed.....we found out when i quit and gave the scope to dad..i was done deer hunting...i thought it was me...dad thought it was me...didnt say i should quit but thought it was me making bad shots...well we found out the scope was broke so i saved all summer and put a leupold on it....that year i took a buck and doe on the same morning...this year i took 2 more does with it....i love that setup now.....im confident enough take shots i normally pass...like this year i shot through brush....i knew i could do it...i found a little hole maybe the size of my fist...i put the bullet right through there and right through the does heart...perfect well planned out shot....i wasnt letting her get away...and she was going to bolt if i didnt act quick...she seen me move and was still thinking...i knew i could put the bullet through that little hole....and this year i took a freehand shot at about 100yards....dropped her in her tracks.....i love my mauser
Old 12-18-2003, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't want me shooting at me...................
Old 12-18-2003, 09:49 PM

lol Timbercruiser, I am not going to say anything about myself for fear that I might jinx myself!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think confidence is the big element or key in hunting, this includes your knowledge(scouting, etc), abilities (limitations, etc) and your equipment. This only comes with experience and practice...which of course includes missing the odd opportunity.

I agree with Ruger that is a far as I am willing to go[8D]

Quick Reply: How confident with your rifle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.