Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How confident with your rifle... >

How confident with your rifle...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How confident with your rifle...

Old 12-19-2003, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How confident with your rifle...

Anything under 300 yards is meat in the freezer if I do my part, the guns right on.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:55 AM

I think that another BIG part of being confident with your rifle is knowing when to shoot and when not to. If I'm not 100% sure that I'm gonna kill the deer when I shoot, I don't shoot.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have a model 70 in 30-06 that my grandpa gave me 15 years ago. When I bring that gun up, center the crosshairs, and click the safety off the hunt is over. I only wish my slug gun gave me half the confidence my rifle does. Oh well.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:07 AM

can shoot at deer here as far as you want to on these fields, 300 yrds is all i really want to shoot
Old 12-19-2003, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

Being confident in your rifle and your ability to shoot it is a great part of your success, no doubt. I can shoot to 300 yards and I admit it's fun to be able to hit one that far on occasion. I did shoot a doe at 275 this year and it was fun.
But what did I accomplish?

Shooting far just proves you're a good shot! Shooting them up close means you're a good hunter, particularly if it's a mature buck!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am very confident in my rifle as I have used it for close to 20 years now...and my father used it for at least that long before me. However, my ability to shoot it is another matter entirely...
Old 12-19-2003, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

very few misses are due to the rifle. I hear alot of people blaming thier rifle at the shooting range for poor performance but it's usually the shooter.

Not to say that equipment cannot be damaged but in most cases the poor performace is due to the shooter.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:47 AM

I do hit the 10 ring every time from 100 yards!
Old 12-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

I agree that the sometimes it is the hunter...more often than not. Pull just a little, gust of wind at 200+ yards. That will put anyone's shot off. Confidence in yourself and your gun have a lot to do with it. Your rifle should feel like it's a third arm when you are carrying it. I also agree with the timing issue. If you honestly don't think that you can kill the deer at a longer distance, try stalking it. Get up close enough to where you feel comfortable. When you feel comfortable enough, then take the shot....not before.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

I've only been using the same rifle and scope for a few years but I feel very confident with it. It's a Rem. 760 in .30-06 with a 3-9X Leupold. But, then again, I'm not hunting fields, I hunt the brush where my shots are never over 100 yards, but I feel confident that I can take any deer running, walking, or standing within range.

Quick Reply: How confident with your rifle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.