Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 can somebody give me some tips on finding antler sheds >

can somebody give me some tips on finding antler sheds

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

can somebody give me some tips on finding antler sheds

Old 12-14-2003, 08:07 PM

Default can somebody give me some tips on finding antler sheds

Im going to go on a big time search for sheds this year, but could use some advice since ive only found 3 my whole life. When is the best time to go, i usually go in febuary
Old 12-14-2003, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: can somebody give me some tips on finding antler sheds

I've been shed hunting the past 3 years and one thing I'm convinced in more and more each year. Bucks are still shedding antlers in march! I used to go mid february. Some neighbors kept telling me they were seeing deer in early march with horns. I could hardly believe them. I put out my game camera and got several photos of large bucks still with they're horns on. I'm in central Minnesota and don't know if weather may have something to do with this. Are they late some years and early others?

One thing I do know.......they not easy to find.......especially when they're still on the deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!
Old 12-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Feb. is a good time to go in my area. The areas where you can search over fast but are productive are any where where the deer jump to cross something. Crossings such as fences, blow downs or ditches.

I have found a few just laying around the outside of field edges. If you know of some trails that the bucks are use in thick areas follow the trail back to the bedding areas you will find them laying on the trail or stuck in the brush. I have found 2 stuck in the brush about 3 feet up off the ground. So don't just watch the ground keep an eye in the brush.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:30 PM

yea the end of february is good and if ur like my dad finding those sheds is about as good as acutally hunting the deer because your gonna know where the monster bucks are gonna hang out for next year
Old 12-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

What about their rub lines that they use in the fall?? and bedding area's
I've never shed hunted but I want to try it this season .

nubo
Old 12-15-2003, 03:42 AM

Hey Nubo....I see that your in Creemore....do you know Adrain Hare..aka:Bosstom???? Lots of places to find sheds in that area....the deer are everywhere there...I do the controlled shotgun hut up there in Nov......take care.........Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 12-15-2003, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

i go in march. its nice then. and the squirrels around here havent found out to eat the sheds yet, so there is no rush. i put in alotta leg time. i have found 2 P&Y ones to this date. i have been searching for 3 years now. walk in late season food areas and bedding areas and along well used trails. basically just walk and look. i have heard that if they jump a fense or a stream, it may jar the antler loose. i dunno. i have found a shed from a 13 pt. i knew was running around on the side of a little creek. so....

to see my collection go to:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...78&uid=1691358
Old 12-15-2003, 07:51 AM

some bucks still have horns in march, wailt until end of march or first of april, lots of times they are in the same areas you find horned trees