Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-13-2003, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: i think i shot a a really nice one....need some input

A roll of skid paper is the best and cheapest blood trail marker you can get.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a promising hit. Get all the help you can and search long and hard. Good luck on locating this bruiser. Can't wait to see pics!
Old 12-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hit one this year with my bow it was a pass through a lot of blood on the arrow and nothing but whit hair and a lot of it. Well to make it short I got the deer the next morning he ran about 100yds and lay down I had hit perfect on the hit but had exited nearly straight down really a very bad shot he was right under me but I still got it.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

White hairs could indicate a neck, brisket or underneath hit. However the neck would have dropped him on the spot via shock and the brisket more than likely would have left more dark hairs with the white(depends on the hide colouring he had, up here they tend to be greyish in the brisket area). More than likely you hit true and exited through the stomach area, given the angle, shot placement, finding of white hairs & what appeared to be stomach content this would be an acceptable theory. It could easily result in a poor blood trail as well.

Let us know how you make out and good luck with your bro this aft.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2003, 04:50 PM

I find it very hard to believe that the buck was shot in the chest with a 12 gauge and is still alive. The chance of you not hitting either lung, aorta, heart or liver is pretty much impossible. A dead on chest shot would also certainly puncture it's diaphragm causing major respiratory distress.

I am not doubting your story about the buck.......and I hope you find him soon. I just think that when you do, you will find the shot did not hit like you think it did.

I have shot and seen many deer shot with a 12 gauge and they just don't live for 24 hours with a slug hole from chest to tail........especially at 30 yards.

I could be wrong of course and will check back to see what you find..........should be interesting. I shot a big buck this year with a 12 gauge right through the lungs and he trotted away like I shot him with a super soaker........thought I missed him for sure. Ran almost 100 yards before he ran out of blood. They can be tough as nails sometimes.

My taxidermist told me he did a deer last year that had a broadhead in it's skull with the tip poking into it's brain.........a gun hunter killed that buck while it was chasing does []

Good Luck!!
Old 12-13-2003, 05:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck Rack, hope you find him.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:34 PM

hey rack - i had the same thing happen to me, except that i shot it broadside with an underpowered gun...he ran and ran and doubled back and ran some more. we tracked that thing for 3 hours in the freezing dark, so we gave up for that night and i woke up the next morning to mom callin and saying there's a deer about 150 yds from where we quit and in the direction we thought he was running. but he was on the side of the road, and when we got there, somebody cut the rack and the hams off...but he was big, and the shot was right at dark, and from the blood, it looked to be a lung shot (foamy blood) and when we found blood, it was spots as big as a nickel and about 10 ft apart.

i know how you feel, that one woulda been my biggest, too

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.