Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun and red dot scope

Old 12-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shotgun and red dot scope

My dad is starting to have a little vision trouble. He's 67 years old. I was thinking about getting him a red dot scope for his remington 1100. After watching some hunters use them on the Outdoors channel. Would any of you folks have a set up like this. How you like it, set up, and use?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shotgun and red dot scope

I have a browning deer hunter gold with a accudot scope. I see no advantages to having it over a 3x9 scope. I am going to sell the whole set up but by chance I keep it the accudot is coming off in place of a 3x9. If you father does not see to well I would not recommend this scope. It has no magnification at all and I lose shooting light through it before legal shooting light is over(half hour after sunset). JMO. hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:55 PM

Buckeye has it right. I have a Trophy Red Dot. I like it but you need to have pretty good eyesight to take advantage of it. I say get something with some decent magnification and lots of light for dad.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree. I have it on my thompson inline and it gets pretty tough to see it on sunnier days. I would again go with a 3x9. Maybe a leupold with a dot in the center of the crosshairs to make it stand out more. I think bushnell also makes scopes that have a circle around the crosshairs that are made especially for shotguns.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a cheap red dot on my crossbow , and it works pretty well . You might also look into getting a scope with an illuminated reticle for Pops , it's much easier to see the crosshairs on those . Sportsmans Guide carries them all of the time for good prices . See below for the site addy .

sportsmansguide.com
Old 12-11-2003, 10:00 AM

Iv'e had a red dot on my shotgun for about 7 years now and I love it. I don't like a magnified scope ona shotgun. thats just my opinion. the red dot has worked great for me. I havn't missed very many deer(1 or 2) since I got it. But I will say that I do have good eyesight. I bought one with for my dad 2 years ago and he really likes it too. He wears glasses and his sight isn't the best.