Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What to do when a big buck may have moved to another area? >

What to do when a big buck may have moved to another area?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:23 AM

Default What to do when a big buck may have moved to another area?

I am hunting in an area that a couple months ago was the frequent location of 2 or 3 smaller bucks and one big buck. I mean we have found three rubs on trees that as big as my thigh. So we know he is or was around towards the end of bow season. Deer still eat my corn and apple pile but I have yet to see a buck from my stand. They' re are maybe 50 rubs and several scrapes within 100 yards of my stand and its in the thick woods. Gun season is a week old and the deer are in rut. Maybe this buck has changed his patterns due to my presence in the woods. i have a feeling he will be a real trophy and what can I do to increase my chances. I am going to try midday hunting from say 10-2 or 3. I have never sat in a stand all day but if thats what it will take I will try it. I just need some help from you experienced deer hunters who have dealt with this before.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What to do when a big buck may have moved to another area?

First of all you will rarely if ever catch a mature buck on a bait pile during shooting hours, second food when the rut is on is not real high on the priority list for a mature buck. Keep on stocking the bait pile but do some more scouting and find where the big boy is bedding or where the doe are bedding, during the rut you will stand a better chance of finding him near his bed or the does bedding area.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:35 AM

definetely keep piling in the bait, are does still coming to eat, if so hunt the down wind side of the bait pile that is where the buck will travel, he knows where the food is and the does. If you kill the buck on the bait pile it will be way after the rut when he is trying to gain back weight, but you still wont see him during daylight hours
Old 12-01-2003, 10:40 AM

well here' s the story.....my stand location would be ideal for bowhunting because i mmean its so thick......my furthest shot with my rifle would be maybe 50 yards. i have seen where deer have bedded almost under my stand. And on opening morning i spooked maybe 5-8 deer that were under my stand 45 minutes before dawn and still saw a button buck and 2 does come in after daylight. I haven' t watched deer in my pile in a while but i still feed regularly and they still eat it... I read that some big bucks move during midday should i try hunting then? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

During the heat of the rut a buck could move at any time, but they will and do change thier patterns and I doubt very seriously if the bait pile will be part of it. During the rut bucks will move on and off all day long, but if they are pressured they will go nocturnal, rut or not. Find thick spots where there are doe trails and or bedding areas and stick it out for the day.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:59 AM

Get his forwarding address