Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Soybeans and fat color

Old 12-01-2003, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Soybeans and fat color

Hello
Has anybody field dressed a deer and the fat deposits were a bright yellow?
My son came home from college to hunt with me this long weekend and he got a really big doe. Probably an older one as well. The first thing I did was lift its head to see if it was a buck that had shed its antlers, since its body was so big. Anyway when he dressed her she had large deposits of fat, which would be normal, but the fat was an almost bright yellow in color. We hunt in a cwd management area, but this deer did not look sick. In fatter of fact she looks like she never missed a meal.
Anyway when we took her to the butchershop, I asked about it. The butcher said that he' s seen it before and that anytime an animal has been eating lots of soybeans the fat tends to turn to a yellow color.
Anybody else ever noticed this? We' ve taken many deer and this is the first time I' ve seen it.
Dan
Old 12-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Soybeans and fat color

I' ve also heard that beans will do this. I know a guy that has taken two doe this year out of the same area - with beans close by - one doe had yellow fat deposits while the other actually had a greenish tint to some fat on it. They attributed it to a diet of garden type plants/flowers. Don' t know if this is true, but sure would like to know.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:42 AM

Default RE: Soybeans and fat color

most of the deer i kill have real bright yellow fat, in fact the two does i shot this weekend the fat was real yellow, but no soybeans or beans of any kind around