Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to do with my soybeans

Old 08-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default What to do with my soybeans

My bean plots did not amount to much this year. We have had very dry conditions and the beans are only 5-6" tall. Here in Northern WI it is marginal for soybeans anyway.
But with such cool conditions lately, I've been contemplating plowing them under and putting in winter wheat as a fall plot and then going back to beans in the spring.
What do you guys think?
Brian
Old 08-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What to do with my soybeans

yeah, i'd plow it under and put in wheat, or maybe just broadcast wheat and disk it. the beans aren't going to be very productive, and i have a feeling that the normal growing season is about over with in WI. in the next 4-8 weeks is when most farmers here in KS plant winter wheat, so you should be just about right.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just disc up the beans and sow wheat, the beans produce nitrogen fixing nodules so it should be enought to fertilize the wheat crop. You might try a little clover as well. put it off to one side a little adnd see how they do. you could leave the clover there in the spring....
Old 08-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

There was frost there I think on Friday. I believe that would be the end of my soybeans. I think I'm going to try to get winter wheat in there asap. I don't want to put clover in as I want to put soybeans in there again next spring.
Brian
Old 08-23-2004, 07:15 AM

Dont get in too big a hurry.....wheat can come up with good results from very little soil preperation. I would seriously consider overseeding the beans and pull a drag through it. The beans will be a little mangled but you wont kill them, deer love beans, and the wheat will come through it....just a thought.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

That's a good idea, Wooddust. I might do that.
Does anyone know how rape would do as a fall plot?
Brian
Old 08-23-2004, 12:39 PM

In my area of central MO, I would choose wheat over rape any day based upon the experience I have had with rape and local deer usage. However, in your area, it may be a viable option. Check the locals to see if they have had success with rape. The rape could be planted with the same method that Wooddust suggested since it is a small seed species.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a fall crop of Rapeseed would kind of like a "candy crop" - Similar to cowpeas or soybeans fall planted. It just won't have time to mature with a fall planting.

Rape does really like Nitrogen though - so if you have a good amount or can add it - you might have a small, attractive plot come October.

I'd probably mix in some Wheat, Rye or BFO to help keep the pressure off the young rape - so it can get at least some size by the first frosts - which will kill it.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

ostdc, I was up in Price county on Friday/Saturday, and I saw frost each morning, your beans may be done. Saw corn that was only knee high too due to cold summer.

Broadcast some wheat and disk it in 1-2 inches, then if you want broadcast some clover too. But do it quick, it has been a VERY cold summer and you may not have much time left.