Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer wont come close enough!!

Old 11-30-2003, 06:33 PM

Default deer wont come close enough!!

The last few weekends out besides shotgun season i have been having trouble getting the deer close enough to my stand to shoot with a bow. Does anyone have any ideas on calling or anything that might bring in both does and bucks?
Old 11-30-2003, 07:22 PM

Default RE: deer wont come close enough!!

I have had does and younger bucks come to a bleat call. I have also grunted bucks to my stand, sometimes from across a large field.

Do you control your scent well? This could be an issue.

Maybe you are just too fare off of their normal path and you should move your stand. Do you always see them in the same area? Do you see them regularly? Do they seem to get alarmed when they are getting close to your shooting range? Do you have good camo for your surroundings that does not make you appear like a large dark blob on the side of a tree?

Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to eliminate possible reasons for the distance.