Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you guys do

Old 11-19-2003, 05:32 PM

Default What do you guys do

Tonight I was leaving the woods and some cyotes started calling. Soon it sounded like they were all over the place. Now I carry a glock .45 with me at all times but still, I am sure there will be more than just 10 cyotes that I will have to shoot at. ANyway, will they bother me or chase me or if I am hunting on the ground will they try to attack me? Some ppl say that they are more scared of us then we are them BUT what if they are use to us, maybe there are a pack of them living close to the house and they are use to the human sent?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What do you guys do

I' ve never give them a moments thought. Have plenty of them around here, I just shoot them when they give me the chance.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:16 PM

i doubt they will see you as prey. but if one gets too close, fire a round at one, the rest will leave.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

' Yotes mostly eat mice and other small game . They don' t consider humans larger than infants to be a food item . Attacks on humans are rare for them , and never involve an adult unless the ' yote is rabid .
Old 11-20-2003, 05:54 AM

this a cool post--reason i say this is because tuesday my neighbor was up around the area where i shot my deer, he shot at coyote, he said he only saw one but the traks are all over up there. he shot at it but missed, he said it was moving rite along at a good clip and that he only had two shells. Two years ago my brother shot and killed one out behind his inlaws house, in small sotwood patch when it decided to charge at him. my bro said it was about 50 ft away when he noticed it, thats just too close for a surprise like that. he said it didnt seem to be acting rite so he shot it.. srry if this seems to be so long .
Old 11-20-2003, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Been living in areas with lots of Coyotes all my life. I have never heard of one attacking a person. I have seen them sitting out in my yard but come out of the house and they are gone pronto!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:05 AM

I have never had a problem with coyotes. They have always headed for the hills as fast as they could the minute they saw me, packed up or not.

I wouldn' t give them a second thought.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

As someone else said, if they give you shot shoot and if they do not do not pay them any mind. We are just now starting to see them every where in Southeastern VA. In years ast it was maybe one or two a year now we are killing 20 or so a year just during deer season.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

From my encounters they usually run off at the sight of a human. The one exception was one time I found them eating away at a deer carcass. I got close enough I could have spit on them.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:24 PM

Shoot em if you can get your gun up in time! Usually buggin out pretty quick in South Carolina. Never heard of any attacks but the possibility will make me shoot next time opportunity presents itself. Gary