Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Holy crap HURRY I need help

Old 11-21-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Holy crap HURRY I need help

I was using my new summit viper and had 5 doe 2 spikes, a huge 4 and a huge 8 walk right up to the tree I was in. I was facing away so that helped. I couldn' t do anything cause the doe were looking around being the usual hassle with deer hunting, I couldn' t move or anything. One of them looked up at me and just staired and I knew what was about to happen. Yep, she blew BUT she walked off didn' t run or anything, well this did something no matter how slow she was cause the rest of the deer followed her. Now, I am not wearing a camo net or anything on my face, but it seems like if I hide my face then they will walk on by but if they see my face they get spooked. Should I be wearing the net?

How come when I grunt at the bucks sometimes they will come to me and sometimes they just walk off. THe spike I seen 2 days ago just ignored me and kept walking.

This summit is the greatest tree stand I have ever had.

One other thing, tom. is the opening day of rifle season but this brush is so thick where I am seeing them that I think I am going to bow hunt tom. I never have killed a deer with a bow and will prolly miss but my 7mm is way too much to hunt them in there.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Holy crap HURRY I need help

If I was in a tree stand, I would probably use camo paint rather than a net. I can' t ever do well shooting a bow with a net on. But I would use something to camo my face and hands.

I have always felt like the grunt is a good calming tool, but is unreliable to actually call deer in. It depends on their mood. So keep using it, but don' t expect every deer to come to it. It is also good for stopping a deer that is walking, but is not totally reliable for that. Just works sometimes

Good luck tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you grunt at a small deer, usually they will either turn tail or ignore you. this is b/c they are small and dont wanna get their butts wooped. but if its a big buck...
Old 11-22-2003, 06:53 PM

I agree, grunt to get a walking deer to stop and look around. Some folks just grunt every once in awhile cause they are bored and it gives em something to do. Not quite sure what is the best strategy. Depends on how good your calling skills are I guess. Gary
Old 11-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it' s a small deer try a doe grunt they' re not afraid of that.A grunt is just a contact call deer make just to say " I' m over here." Some times they come to it ,some times they don' t want to go to another deer.If it was that easy anyone could do it.