Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question for folks that hunt in states with both Whitetails and Mule Deer. >

Question for folks that hunt in states with both Whitetails and Mule Deer.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question for folks that hunt in states with both Whitetails and Mule Deer.

Old 11-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for folks that hunt in states with both Whitetails and Mule Deer.

If you hunt in states with both Whitetail and Mule Deer......is there any restriction on which type you can and cannot shoot or can you take either during the limited (Archery, M/L, Rifle) seasons? I never hunted anything but Whitetail but was curious if you could shoot either when deer season is open.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for folks that hunt in states with both Whitetails and Mule Deer.

It' s both ways here in Colorado and also Wyoming

Some units it' s either mulie or whitetail, doesn' t make a difference. But some units are whitetail only
Old 11-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question for folks that hunt in states with both Whitetails and Mule Deer.

In South Dakota, your tag will specify, Any Deer, Any White tail, Any Mule Deer or Antlerless Whitetail or Antlerless Mule Deer or some Buck only tags. Both of these will also specify Species. I don' t know how other states do it.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

You would be better of checking the state you live in because the laws are different state to state . We can hunt blacktail or muledeer but not whitetail.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:06 AM

in saskatchewan if you have a whitetail tag you can only shoot a whitetail. If you have a mulie tag its mulies only. Have to be careful here not to make a mistake.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:57 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I live in West Texas and the countys are set up different. During Mule deer season, Starts the 22nd, I am allowed one buck. During White tail season, started the 1st, it depends on the county but some you can get say 3 bucks and 2 doe, or somthing like this but there is no set limit across the state. Set per county. I can get one wt buck and a doe the first 11days of the season. Dont hold me to the 11 days this is just a guess but its close to that.
Rick
Old 11-19-2003, 06:29 AM

great post u learn something new every day