Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question on Shotgun with rifled choke >

Question on Shotgun with rifled choke

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on Shotgun with rifled choke

Old 11-18-2003, 10:42 AM

Default Question on Shotgun with rifled choke

I' m from MI and grew up in northern lower MI. I have a rifle I always used up there, but now, living in southwest MI, I can only use a shotgun.
I have an 870 express super magnum. I didn' t have money for a rifled barrel, so I bought a rifled choke tube.
A couple of questions:
What do you recommend I shoot through it? What brand/type slug, and 2 3/4" or 3" ?
I heard the 3" are less accurate? They start to tumble after a certain distance?
Is the 2 3/4" just as good as the 3" ?
How long of a shot would I be able to take?
Thanks very much in advance for your oppinions.
TH
btw, I was up in Houghton Lake for opening weekend and hardly saw anything. Two does and a button buck. The week prior, my dad (who set up the blinds for us) said he saw two spikes, a four, a six, and a big 8. Who knows where they went, because between 3 of us we only saw the button buck. Oh well.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:12 PM

Default RE: Question on Shotgun with rifled choke

I have a Winchester 1300 with a screw in rifled choke and it works great. I tried several brands of slugs. My gun shoots the Brenneke 2-3/4" 1oz load the best. I can shoot about a 3-4" group at 100 yards with the aid of my scope. Even without the scope I felt confident taking shots at 100 yards. I would suggest tring a few differents slugs. I have heard alot of people like the lightfields, but every gun likes something different.

Good Luck
Old 11-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a screw in choke on my Rem 11-87. I use Rem 3" copper solid slugs. On the range they' ll hit out to 125 yards. However in the field I won' t take a shot over 100 yards with them.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use 2 3/4" winchestor foster style in my 870 with choke tube. Took one last year at 110 yds. Dropped right in her tracks. Confirmed the range with a range-finder just for my curiosity. I also use lightfields, and copper solids in my other gun but that one is fully rifled. Lightfields shoot well out of the choke tube but I would recommend a fully rifled barrel for the copper solids.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get your mitts on a box of saboted slugs, try them. You might be impressed.