Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifled choke tube question >

Rifled choke tube question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled choke tube question

Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifled choke tube question

My dad has recently become interested in using his shotgun with slugs for deer hunting. He was wondering if anyone had any info on the rifled chokes for a shotgun. He is shooting asmoothbore barrel and didn't know if the choke tubes are worth using.

Any info you can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pheasantfanatic
Old 02-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rifled choke tube question

In the use I have seen or heard from buyers. The rifled screw choke tubes are somewhat better than most smooth bores. I can say that any have said they shoot as good as a fully rifled barrel. However, the choke tubes are somewhat cheaper if someone is on a budget and wants to move toward some better accuracy and the use of a sabot slug. If interested I do have one I would make you a deal on? $16 shipped to your door? [email protected]
Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM

I have been using a 5" Hastings rifled choke tube on my scoped 870 for a number of years. I have only positive things to say about this set-up. I won't say it shoots as well as fully rifled set-ups I've owned, but it performs very consitantly for me. I shoot with confidence out to 150 yards with it.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:45 PM

From what ive seen they shoot well. Not as good as a fully rifled barrel but plenty good enough to shoot 100-150 yards with.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM

I have never used one myself but I hear mixed reviews on them. Some say they work pretty well, other say they were not worth the money. I hardly ever see them in a store I know that. It's something you would have to order in my area.

Not too expensive though if you wanted to try one out.

Paul
Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I had a browning with their 5" rifled tube and it shot as good if not better than a fully rifled barrel. In fact some of the reports that people did on browning said the same thing. But I believe it has to be a long rifled tube like the browning which will also fit mossberg 500and winchester. And the barrel has to be made for slugs with the same inside diameter at the chamber as at the muzzle to get that kind of accuracy. Just my few cents worth.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Rem 11-87 with a smooth barrel and a cantilevered rifled barrel. The advantage of this set up is to mount a scope on the barrel. My vision is not quite as good as it used to be and I need the scope for precise deer shot in the 100 yards range.