Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rifled choke tube with slug question >

rifled choke tube with slug question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifled choke tube with slug question

Old 12-15-2005, 08:48 AM

Default rifled choke tube with slug question

I have a question about the choke tubes you can get for shotguns. I have a remington 870 and want to shoot slugs for hog hunting. Now my question is, do the rifled choke tubes help with accuracywith a smooth bore or not?

I would like to get arifled barrel or dedicated 870 slug gun sometime but for now I will just to try it out the way it is and see how it does. I was going to go to the range to see how it does at 50 yards the way it is now but waswondering if a rifledchoke would improve.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 AM

Default RE: rifled choke tube with slug question

I guide hog hunts in east texas and sometimes I use my 870 express with rifled slugs. I have had no problems with killing accuracy or stopping power out to 67 yards (furtherest shot on one of the leases). I do not have a rifled choke tube in it.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:43 AM

A rifled choke is for sabot slugs. You will need a deifferent sight setup than just the bead for any improvement in accuracy. Either a scope, or a set of clip on rifle sights. And if you do that, you might as well see how well your gun shoots with rifled (foster) slugs. I am willing to bet accuracy will be about the same, with ammunition costing much less. Good luck
Old 12-15-2005, 10:41 AM

I did a search and only came up with one rifled choke that says sabots only. The others say you can use either or don't specify. I will give you my opinion on it though.

Many people get confused and think rifled barrels and chokes were designed to use modern sabot slugs. Unfortunately that is not the case. I am sure the ammo makers selling slugs for 13 bucks for 5 rounds would love you to think that though.

Rifled barrels and I believe chokes were around before the consideration of saboted slugs. It was simply a means of helping stabilize the current foster type slugs on the market. Many also believed the fins on the rifled slugs imparted a spin to the slug. This was found to not be the case either. They simply let the slug crush to accomidate different size chokes in different shotguns.

Later sabots came along, I bet you can thank inline ML's for that, and improved things a bit more as far as accuracy and range are concerned. There are some slug guns specifically designed for sabots. Most have a faster twist rate like 1 and 28 or so to help stabilize the faster smaller bullet. Most inline muzzleloaders use the same twist rate or a faster 1 and 24 in some cases. Where most rifled slug guns use a 1 and 30 something twist for a 12 gauge. This is probably why some (like me) have trouble shooting the really fast light bullets at longer ranges.

I honestly don't think a rifled choke tube is going to work that great with the modern style sabots. They may work with the slower heavier saboted slugs though. I mean you only have a few inches of rifling vrs a whole barrel. If a plastic sabot is moving fast enough the chances are it will impart no spin at all to it. It might slip right past the rifling. And if it did spin it might just spin the sabot and not the bullet.

I'm not saying it won't work, it really depends on how much accuracy you want at what distance. Just don't be shocked if the performance is not outstanding. Especially for what the saboted rounds cost. Sabots were really designed to work in a fully rifled barrel.

If you decide to go with a rifled choke, I suggest the Remington Buck Hammers. I bet they will perform pretty well, sort of the best of both worlds. Or one of the brenneke rounds.

And remember, these are just my opinions, nothing more.

Paul
Old 12-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Slug

Rifled, Cyl, Imp.Cyl, Mod

Can I shoot slugs or buckshot through a "smoothbore" field barrel with Accu-choke tubes? (500/9200/88/695 models) Yes, and with Sabots or rifled slugs, the more 'open' the choke tube, the better the accuracy ("Improved Cylinder" recommended).The "Full" or "Modified" choke tubes are preferred for buckshot loads. Slugs, buckshot and steel shot loads are not recommended for use with an Extra Full "Turkey tube" installed, due to the tube's tight constriction. Do not fire any load without a choke tube installed, doing so will damage the internal choke tube threads.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

rifled choke tubes havea hard time kicking off the sleeve of the sabot making it less accurate than even a rifled slug. my opinion is unless you have rifled barrel, dont waste the 10 bucks for 5 shells. or the 50 bucks for a rifled choke tube. i bought two lastyear and me nor my wife ever used them once during season becausethe groups sucked so bad. either buy a rifled barral for just use a rifled slug withic choke tube in.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

before you go and by a slug barrel or choke you should check out the new federal truball rifled slugs. they supposedly give you a heck of alot better accuracy that a regular foster slug but cost the same. i haven't tried them out but a few people have.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

i tried those slugs last deer seaon. i wasnt to impressed. and man they kick like a mule
just my opinion through my gun.