Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Leaving your stand in the woods. >

Leaving your stand in the woods.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leaving your stand in the woods.

Old 11-18-2003, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Leaving your stand in the woods.

Do you think its a bad deal to leave your climber in the woods, Not talking about someone stealing it but as far as a deer smelling it while you are not there and its at ground level, I know I get tired of packing mine in and out, I hunt mostly on my own place or on our lease, and I can make it alot quicker and quiter to my hunting spot if I' m not strapped to a stand, what do you all think?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:53 AM

Default RE: Leaving your stand in the woods.

all my stands are portable and stay in the woods the whole season, doesnt bother the deer
Old 11-18-2003, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it' s a better idea to leave the stand in the woods if you' re not worried about someone stealing it. The deer will get used to seeing it and smelling it. It' s going to be there for them to smell and see when it matters most so it' s better to get them used to it ahead of time. In fact I know people who have lock ons who will actually put a dummy in the stand for a week or two before the season starts to get the deer used to seeing " that thing" in the tree. Then when the season starts the deer don' t think twice when they walk under the stand.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:36 PM

strut, i agree with trophyhuntr, I leave my climbers in the woods all season also, just spray some scent eliminator on them. It beats the heck out of totetin them in each time.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I have been leaving mine in the woods, but some of the guys tell me its the wrong thing to do, said that the deer would be able to " stake it out" if left there over night for a day or 2.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Once there mine never leave.