Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 New to rifle, read this, might learn something, ALOT of questions >

New to rifle, read this, might learn something, ALOT of questions

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to rifle, read this, might learn something, ALOT of questions

Old 11-16-2003, 06:45 PM

Default New to rifle, read this, might learn something, ALOT of questions

Howdy, Im a bow hunter of several years and this year I was convinced to try rifle hunting.

The Gear,

Marlin 30-30 Winchester, with 170 grain core-lokt soft points.
Camo of course,
about 80 treestands all at 16-24 feet

Anson County NC
247 acres of land , half fields/half woods, 4 ponds , 3 creeks.

Heres my questions first, as this is stuff I have never seen as a bow hunter.

1) 3 bucks all together in the middle of a field, mid day ( around 2pm) just ... standing there, not fighting, no does, just standing there for over 30 minutes...

2) Hunt an area one day (first day opening season) see no rubs, next day, right next to my treestand (less then 10 ft away) a massive rub, tree sap STILL oozing out and pliable. As I look at it, I notice another rub less then 20 yards away, yet there are no deer trails, and nothing that even looks remotley like deer would be in that particular area.

Its full of briars, and low shrubs overlooking a field.

3) First day of season, getting ready to pack up, a buck walks out of the woods FOLLOWED by 3 doe. They stand at the edge of the woods, I click my spotlight on them ( I know naughty me) and the doe instantly run, the Buck stares at me. (normal)

about 15 minutes later, I click the spotlight on the same place to show my friend where I had seen them. The buck is STILL there standing chest out like you see in all of the lovely deer posters. It is obvious he is watching me.
Maybe at most 100 yds away. He didnt move, he didnt run, he just stood there. He was not a decoy, and he wasnt stuffed... go figure...

Last question,

Have seen a HERD, yes what I( call a heard of 4 bucks and 12 doe at one time exit the woods, follow along the treeline, cross over the smallest field, walk into the woods, follow a trail, come to the roadway, hop the fence, and dissapear into the woods on the other side... as a GROUP.

Erm... shouldnt those bucks be single at this point?
Old 11-16-2003, 07:01 PM

Default RE: New to rifle, read this, might learn something, ALOT of questions

A wild guess. Your rut hasn' t kicked in as of now. When it does, the bucks will follow the does, bucks will start fighting. You will still see does in groups, but as they come in estrus, they will separate or be chased from the groups. I think you have a good thing going. most of my sightings here is of 1-3 does, and maybe a buck or two (but not together.) If you are sighting those bucks with a flashlight, wait until daytime and see if that buck just stands there.

Russ
Old 11-16-2003, 07:06 PM

2 million candle power spotlight handheld

Well, I know during archery season I was using Doe in Estrus scent and calling in does and bucks, but none ever got in range, though I would have though it would have scared them off smelling that, perhaps they were interested but had an instinct not to come closer.

The deer around here are NOT skittish, I took my 7 year old son bow hunting one day, mostly walking around, we actually had 2 doe run right up to usin a field and stand and watch us. I drew back on my bow and they scampered off, not running, just bounding slowly...Possibly figured its a human with his human fawn...

The land USED to be farmed very heavily, 1 man on 247 acres is alot to farm with all the wood cuthroughs, Im wondering if they are more acceptable to humans, but still dont get too close.

I see lots of deer everytime I drive in, at all different times of the day, and they dont really run from me, but I swear, they knew when rifle season came in, because I honestly could tell a total difference in them, they didnt come out in the morning, and in the evening they waited untill a few minutes after blackcoat ( when you can just see their outline)

Freaking wierd deer...
Old 11-16-2003, 07:17 PM

Not a bit weird. That' s survival instinct. You' d get the H. out if they started shooting at you.

Russ
Old 11-16-2003, 07:24 PM

[]

I can picture it now...

Look son, its a HUMAN !

Okay now listen, watch him as he walks, see his bright orange vest he thinks we cant see? Aim for that...

Okay see how he is looking at the ground for our poop?

Yes humans are funny I know...

Okay squeeze one off !

(boom)

YOU GOT HIM !!! He' s a mature human too, see his crest of grey hair? Oh good shot, we can stuff him for our trophy room...

Im going to have nightmares again [:@]
Old 11-16-2003, 07:27 PM

Hey what do you think about the rubs so close together, possibly different bucks competing for that area? or just one buck making sure everyone knows it.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:58 AM

its hard to say for sure, but it could very well be same one just starting to mark his territory, getting ready for the rut. but im no expert,---there are probable more people out/in this forum that have more expeirence when it comes to this matter, but thats just my thought.. Good luck and happy hunting!!
Old 11-17-2003, 12:08 PM

What you are seeing is typicall for the rifle season, at least in my experience.

1. The deer are more worried about survival. There is so many people in the woods shooting, the only safe place is in the middle of that field. They can see a long way, and there is no danger at the time. Usually when I come home for lunch, I will see deer bedded in the middle of a feild, 100 yards from my house.

2. The area that you are describing is usually over looked by hunters. You will find a lot of deer in here durring the day.

3. I see a lot of doe following buck. The buck are more aware of their surroundings, and the doe seem to rely on the buck to look for danger.

Durring the day, if you scare a group of deer, such as walking into them, the bucks will run, but the doe will just look at you.

At night, when spotlighting after the season closes, buck will stand there and look at you, and the does will run.

I don' t know why this is.

Durring the rifle season, because the deer are running all over, they end up getting together. They feel safer as a group. This is why deer drives work so well, there are a lot of deer in a small area.

Even if the rut is peaking at this time, the deer will still stick to this pattern. At night they will rut and feed, and go into hiding durring the day. The buck will continue to rut latter in the season when the pressure dies down.

Again, this may not be true for all areas. This is just what I have experienced where I hunt, where the hunting pressure is very high.