Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How would you hunt this area?

Old 11-16-2003, 06:18 PM

Default How would you hunt this area?

I' m trying to figure out how i should hunt this area for the first day of PA rifle season. I was hoping i could get some help on here. I will post a couple pics of the area. There will be about 7-13 other guys hunting this area also. I was hoping you guys could help my find some funnels and areas where bucks will go when pressured. The link to the first pic is http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...=1442&z=17&w=1 I can hunt from the dotted line in the center of the picture, to the next road over to the right. I can hunt all the way down to where stoney hollow creek empties into caldwell creek. This next pic is my hunting area zoomed in a little bit http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...=5770&z=17&w=1 I can hunt pretty much everywhere in that picture. Thanks
Old 11-16-2003, 06:46 PM

Default RE: How would you hunt this area?

Just from the map, I would suggest finding a spot near the ' Y' of Stoney. Looks like you have a rise from the creek on both sides. Set up on the side that will put the wind in your face, and if possible close enough to be able to see the creek. This might give you a view of the slope below you and possibly some view of the other side of the creek. This will all depend on how much cover there is in the area. A map is just a guess. You really have to cvheck out the area on foot to get a better feel of the situation.

Russ
Old 11-16-2003, 07:03 PM

are you talking about the letter Y in the word stoney, or the Y in the creek?
Old 11-16-2003, 07:11 PM

I meant the Y in the word Stoney. I can' t tell really how thick the cover is from the map. But that looks like the center part of the area along the creek, which I am guessing they will use for a trail. A walk thru might let you find some trail(s). A well used trail will be made by does, the bucks will usually use a very faint trail, unless they are following a doe, then they go where the doe goes.

Russ
Old 11-16-2003, 07:15 PM

i' d sit out there somewhere with a gun or bow and wait for a deer to walk by, then i' d shoot it
Old 11-17-2003, 05:47 AM

I agree with Russ. One area I plan on hunting in is a stream that comes off a swamp. The land is private but right on the edge from public and I don' t know how many other hunters will be there since there are 25 guys that can hunt the private land. I did see 2 tree stands while walking in but I plan on walking right by them.

I was there with my son yesterday scouting out the land. I will probably sit higher up on the ridge overlooking the stream bed and wait there. I did see tracks so I hope they will be there when I' m there.

Good luck....

Tomster
Old 11-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Where are they feeding and where are they bedding? Get in between just off the trails.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:17 PM

I haven' t look at the other replies yet.

Looking at the second map, there is that little open patch (white) where the trail circles in. Hunters should be pushing deer through there first thing in the morning, so get there really early. Another hunter might be planning on going there also, so get there early.

Will there be people driving on those roads? If so, they will be pushing deer into you while walking in. There is also 3 funnels going to where you will be posting. Set up where you can see a long way.

Looking back at the second map, this place should be bommer. Make sure you can see a ways. The deer will be running all over the place, and they shoud be comming here. There are three big hills leading down to here. There are also the three funnels leading here. Hunters should be comming into the woods all around you, chasing the deer right to you.

Good luck.