Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How would you hunt this area?

Old 11-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default How would you hunt this area?

Here is a rough map of the area I'm hunting (*edited - replaced picture with a better satellite image*):

Got my first buck (a small 4 pointer) at spot 3. Got my second buck (a small 8 pointer) at spot 2. Got my 3rd buck (an average 8 pointer) at spot 1 last year. The woods with spots 2 and 3 are a heavy traffic area for deer, the ground is literally tore up with deer prints and there's so many rubs I quit counting last time I was in there. A bowhunter has a stand near spot 3 & has pulled 16 pointers out the previous 2 years. Last year, I saw a huge buck coming into the woods from the north at spot 2 just before shooting time on opening day but he was moving too fast and it was too dark to get my scope on him. That was the only buck I saw for 2 days, so I switched to spot 1 and got my deer.

There's also signs of large bucks in and round the CRP and the pond, so I know they're out there as well.

Would you continue to hunt spots 1, 2, or 3? Or try the potential spot 4s? What environmental conditions would lead you to one place or the other? (ie - weather, wind direction, lunar phase, etc)
Old 11-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How would you hunt this area?

No map that I see but any way To me wind direction and how that relates to the deers movements is the key element in me deciding where I will hunt. If favorable I will pick sign and safety for a mature buck everytime. This means deep transition areas from bed and breakfeast. It may be a funnel, rubline, etc..rarely the main highway but an intersect always sparks my interest. Last resort is hunting the food, as you know does eat when hot so bucks will be close by during the rut. In these I look for areas in the shadows, areas I expect mature bucks to hang back in when addressing a open field. Food sources inside the bush like large meadow or ridge line are a different story in this I will setup in a area to view but not hinder deers movements.

Sounds like you have lots of choices and in the past have been successful in them, I would let the wind dictate where you set up each day using the sign presented and think safety to pick the best spot.

Best of luck.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

thnx for the info, very useful stuff. Try this link for a pic of the map:

http://images.ofoto.com/photos1004/5...4506_0_ALB.jpg
Old 11-04-2004, 03:32 AM

Gun with a scope!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

no $hit? I was gonna stalk 'em with a knife...