Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Ontario Record buck weighed in? >

Ontario Record buck weighed in?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ontario Record buck weighed in?

Old 11-16-2003, 07:14 AM

Default RE: Ontario Record buck weighed in?

Had an experience once dragging out a 2oo pounder,can' t imagine what a 4oo pounder would be like.
I think he would come out in pieces.

Joe
Old 11-16-2003, 08:22 PM
XTP

He is probably referring to the heaviest buck weighed in this year not the all time record for weight.The buck I shot 3 weeks ago was well over 200 lbs so I can' t see that being any kind of record itself in Ontario.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:08 AM

the mn deer was dressed weight was 404 puonds it was shot in cook cty.,MN on NOV.22 1926 by carl Lenander jr. Minneapolis,MN. The estimated live weight was 511 pounds. The article is in the MDHA publication of the Whitetales magazine.

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]
Old 11-17-2003, 03:01 AM
Fork Horn

Check this site out....
http://www.whitetaileddeer.ca/articles/whitetail.htm

This site shows the official record buck taken in North West Ontario back in 1950' s at 288 lbs dressed weight. It was weighed by the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Typically very large deer come from places where the snow is very deep all winter long. Deer that survive to pass on there genes have long legs, long bodies and wide muscular builds for plowing through deep snow all winter and dig through that snow looking for food.

Now I could see a deer of over 300 lbs dressed weight coming from North West Ontario but if it were here in the south then it would have to be a freak of Nature. We just don' t have the snow here in the winter. We' re above the snow belt and below it. The deer I first mentioned claims to have come from this area. Just like the one they weighed in here last year that was reweighed after I inspected it and it magically lost 31 lbs. That deer was first weighed in as the new Ontario record at 291 lbs. but then reweighed at 260 lbs. Still a nice buck in anyones book.

If your not in the snow belt, then chances of you bagging a deer over 270 lbs dressed weight during the gun season are to say the least, minimal.

I' ve seen freaks of nature and they do happen. I once saw a deer in N. J. that looked to be three times the size of the does he was playing with. 3 weeks later at exactly the same spot, that buck was killed by a vehicle. There was only a small 6 point rack but the deer was estimated at 265 lbs dressed.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:58 AM

boy, i can' t believe i' m saying this, but i hope i never kill a buck as big as what you guys are talking about....... it would take me a week to drag it up over the mountain!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 08:52 AM

Hey boyscout, I guess if you shoot one that big, you could cut the horns off and leave them there, that would save you a few pounds while you drag it out...lol