Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is Savage 220 a great slug gun for deer? >

Is Savage 220 a great slug gun for deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is Savage 220 a great slug gun for deer?

Old 01-13-2022, 11:04 PM
Spike

Lightbulb Is Savage 220 a great slug gun for deer?

It seems to be the best bet out there for taking deer where shotgun slugs are required by what I'm reading and learning so far. I gather cantilever barrels on pumps for deer hunting are a rotten setup. Savage's 220 20 gauge bolt job seems to be as ingenious as his Savage Model 99 was 120+ years ago.

The "B" of it is, quality 20 gauge hunting slugs, depending upon how fancy you get, can be up to 5 bucks a pop and they might be hard to find in stock to boot. At about $700 retail, this Savage bolt slugger is quite more spendy than your average Mossy 870 or Remmy 500 police pump.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

For the first 15 years or so that I hunted I used a 12 gauge 870 shotgun. I would gamble to say that gun has killed about as many deer as any in states that don't allow rifles. I have never shot any of the higher priced shotguns so I would be curious to see how much difference there is in accuracy.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Obviously your set up "got it done".

The Savage 212 and 220 are great options. They'll really take slug hunting to the next level. More like carrying a rifle than a slug gun. Although you're still limited by range.

I have a Mossberg 695 that shoots incredibly well 'for a slug'. I can usually keep the holes touching at 100 yards. And have played with it out to 200.

I also use a Mossberg 500 in .20ga with the cantilever barrel. I haven't played with different loads with that one but it'll do 3" at 100 which is good enough for deer.

All of these options are vastly better than the smoothbore, bead sight, rifled slug option of yesteryear where you were trying to hit a paper plate at 50 yards and the bead covered the entire deer at 75.

But honestly I'm partially convinced that those guns were more limited by using a bead sight than anything else. I haven't actually tried this but I wouldn't be surprised if a scoped smoothbore would hold an acceptable group at 75-100 yards. Maybe I'll play with that this summer. See what I can do

-Jake