Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is Savage 220 a great slug gun for deer? >

Is Savage 220 a great slug gun for deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is Savage 220 a great slug gun for deer?

Old 01-25-2022, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
But far and away cheaper and easier to come by which would make them far more accurate for me because I can afford to practice.
I reload my straight walled rifle cartridges, so they are a lot cheaper for me to shoot, but I still enjoy taking my 220 to the woods. As far as practicing, I don't. I bench sight them in, and that's it. They are ready to hunt with.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by excalibur43
I reload my straight walled rifle cartridges, so they are a lot cheaper for me to shoot, but I still enjoy taking my 220 to the woods. As far as practicing, I don't. I bench sight them in, and that's it. They are ready to hunt with.
That is pretty much what I would do. I'm sure I'd be better if I shot the gun more.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

You like other factory triggers better or are you comparing to custom triggers?
Originally Posted by excalibur43
That is pretty much what I would do. I'm sure I'd be better if I shot the gun more.
Rock regarding the trigger I much prefer a standard trigger over the Accutrigger. They are great on the range but I don't like them during hunting situations especially when I have to take a running shot (please no flak on that. I only do it when I know I can make a clean shot.). There are companies out there like MCarbo that make a simple upgrade for Savage rifles that take about 10 mins to install and make the trigger simply beautiful.
Original OP asked about the Savage 220 to which I responded. If a straight walled cartridge were allowed I would go with a 350 Legend or 375 Win or 45-70 but that wasn't the question.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Rock regarding the trigger I much prefer a standard trigger over the Accutrigger. They are great on the range but I don't like them during hunting situations especially when I have to take a running shot (please no flak on that. I only do it when I know I can make a clean shot.). There are companies out there like MCarbo that make a simple upgrade for Savage rifles that take about 10 mins to install and make the trigger simply beautiful.
Original OP asked about the Savage 220 to which I responded. If a straight walled cartridge were allowed I would go with a 350 Legend or 375 Win or 45-70 but that wasn't the question.
I certainly don't have any problem with you shooting running deer. Not my thing anymore but Ive definitely done it and still would but its just not something my hunting style sees happen much if at all.

I guess Ive gotten so use to the safety mechanism on the Accutrigger I don't even notice it anymore(I assume that is the part you don't like) plus I almost exclusively spend shot gun season helping kids get deer. Archery is what I do mostly. I have had some kids struggle with the Accutrigger

I brought up the straight wall in relation to the 220 saying (and I don't know which shotgun only state the op is from) that if I didn't already have one I might hold off on the $1000+ purchase because I believe most if not all states will soon allow straight wall rifle cartridges. I kind of figured we'd all agree straight walls were better for various reasons.

IL already has some straight wall loop holes that I am considering exploiting with the use of an "AR pistol" not that I don't love the 220 but the ammunition (price and availability) is a PITA

Last edited by rockport; 01-25-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Rock I've been on a nostalgic kick lately and I've been using old style lever rifles when I'm not using a bow or muzzleloader. My latest venture is the 375 Win which would be a great st wall cartridge. But for the original op's thread he can't go wrong if he wants a Savage 220
Old 01-28-2022, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well Rock I've been on a nostalgic kick lately and I've been using old style lever rifles when I'm not using a bow or muzzleloader. My latest venture is the 375 Win which would be a great st wall cartridge. But for the original op's thread he can't go wrong if he wants a Savage 220
Can't go wrong with the gun but ammunition can be a problem.